Followers

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Real Toads Sunday challenge: Ella's photos

© Photo by Ella Wilson
*
I first put my heart on paper
when I was very small
and my parents smiled,
and told me it was good...
*
so I put my heart on paper
the first time I fell in love
and my loved one smiled
and told me it was sweet...
*
then I put my heart on paper
the next time I fell in love
but my lover laughed
and told me it was wrong...
*
oh, how could my heart on paper
be good and sweet, then wrong?
because my lover
couldn’t hear my song.
*
Kerry, doyenne of the writers' group Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, chose several photos by Ellen Wilson, of Ella's Edge, as prompts for members and contributors to Real Toads today.
I admired every one of them. The heart-shaped parchment above, however, spoke to me and brought a new poem to my mind, just as a proper prompt photo should do.

Thanks for letting us use your photos, Ella, and thanks for the choices, Kerry!

16 comments:

Ella said...

I loved this Kay,it was beautiful and sad. One must see the beauty of one's heart,to truly know the promise of their soul!

kaykuala said...

Could it happen that way? Love tends to play tricks at odd times maybe. Great write Kay!

Hank

Joyful said...

Lovely poem though at the time it was probably heartbreak with the one who couldn't hear your song.

We've had fresh snow on the mountains. It was very cloudy but it's been so windy that now there is a bit of blue sky. Hope you're enjoying your weekend.

Dimple said...

Simple and clean. Lovely work!

Fireblossom said...

That's right, girl, place the blame right where it belongs. Nothing wrong with your heart...just ask Lindy! :-)

Mr Puddy said...

Lovely poem , Kay !
But you know me...I go for something that move : )
I paw up for Mr. Toad
xox

Kay said...

Wow, Kay! You are really a fabulous poet. I really loved this. I had to stop, read it again, sigh... and think some more.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love it - his loss that he couldnt hear your song!

Kerry O'Connor said...

This took an unexpected turn, Kay. Something about the form reminds me of the old ballads, one that sings of heartbreak. Wonderful response to the image.

hedgewitch said...

This is really perfect in its simplicity--it tells a sweet, non-nonsense tale with just a twinge of sadness, but a larger sense of wisdom. Loved it.

Susie Clevenger said...

So sad yet so beautiful...it speaks of vulnerability and wisdom

Mystic_Mom said...

Kay this one was lovely, sweet and bittersweet...oh to love someone who just doesn't see the value of hearts on paper! Lovely my dear!

Mary Ann Potter said...

Oh, this was lovely, and the bittersweetness of life and love was captured so well!

Unknown said...

Paper hearts can cut. Nice write

Lolamouse said...

The heart is never wrong. Too bad for the one who couldn't hear it. His loss.

CC Champagne said...

I hate having to comment after Lolamouse! She always says what I want to say so much better than I ever could!!! *smile* Loved the piece!