Followers

Saturday, February 18, 2012

For Real Toads and WWR: Mary Ann's photos

Photo copyright Mary Ann Potter
For our delectation and inspiration today Kerry posted several photos by Mary Ann Potter, a very talented poet-photographer and a member of the online writers' group Imaginary Garden with Real Toads. Mary Ann's photos are all amazing, as she has a superb eye and a wonderful way with special effects and textures.
I just couldn't decide which photo to choose, although I was (or so I thought) leaning toward the photo above, of a beautiful path among silver birches. But I couldn't make up my mind, so I waited for one of her photos to choose me. I never know how this process works, or what will come of it, but today my subconscious was influenced by Mary Ann's work with lighthouses...
*

Photo copyright Mary Ann Potter

down on the beach
not far from the light
the group watched the tide
make its way out
they watched
and they watched
'til they all fell asleep
and the tide turned around
and came back to the beach
it tickled their toes
and climbed up their legs
the boy scouts all froze
from the shock of it—
they saw it go out,
why did it come back?
they didn’t have
their maritime badges yet

(no scouts, male or female, were harmed in the making of this poem)

Also posted for
Writers' Weekend Retreat
at Grandma's Goulash.

14 comments:

Mary Ann Potter said...

Cute, Kay! Bless those Boy Scouts' hearts...

This photo is one of my favorites, too. That's Cape Hatteras Lighthouse in the distance. It was actually moved from its original location because it was in danger of being taken by the Atlantic, causing quite a controversy.

Glad you picked this photo. I'm honored that folks actually want to respond to my photos! 8-)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Clever, and I love the line in brackets at the end:)

WinterWrites said...

So much fun to read, thanks Kay!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Trust you to always find the different angle, Kay!

Anonymous said...

They didn't have their badges yet; you cracked me up!

Love this:
"it tickled their toes
and climbed up their legs"

~Shawna
rosemarymint.wordpress.com

Grace said...

I like this picture too ~

Nice take on the boy scouts and tides ~

Happy sunday ~

Mimi Foxmorton said...

How perfect! :)

Mimi
Collage Pirate

Herotomost said...

Haaaaa!!!!! Love it. Damn the frozen tide and the lessons it has to teach. Great job.

Daydreamertoo said...

A fun read. We have spent so much time by water. I cannot imagine not being close by it.

Fireblossom said...

Ha! I didn't see that coming, Kay!

Susie Clevenger said...

This is fun...my husband was a boy scout leader. Brings back memories

Marian said...

no harming scouts! i could totally, hah, totally picture this :)

Grandma's Goulash said...

Your words lulled me into complacency, then left me laughing as the water crept back to the Scouts. Great use of words to evoke emotions.

Margaret said...

fun and sweet. :)