Followers

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Camera Critters: not visible here, but...


I took this photo after a snowfall last month, when I could see, from the footprints, that deer had come to eat from the ornamental crabapple tree in our front yard, and last night they came again. They really did.
Our Valentine's Day snow was almost gone last night, and the ground beneath our ornamental crabapple tree was almost bare, so all the fallen fruit was uncovered. Five deer came to eat it, while Dick and I watched them through the window in the door near my desk.
The window's built-in blinds, open at a steep outward angle, made it possible for us to watch the deer and impossible for them to see us. At one point, the beautiful big brown eyes of a deer were staring right at the window. She sensed us, we know, because she moved her ears ever so slightly. We both held our breath. She continued to look, but couldn't see us. It was an amazing experience. She was less than three feet away.
The window was a gift for my December birthday, and I'm sure Dick now thinks it paid for itself in that long, wonderful moment. Many thanks to my dear husband.
*
Posted for Camera Critters, hosted by Misty Dawn.
Thanks, Misty!

11 comments:

Jo said...

A belated happy birthday for December, Kay. What a wonderful experience you had with that deer looking straight at you. Hope you're having a wonderful weekend. (((hugs))) Jo

jabblog said...

Such wonderful moments really are heart-stopping. I can imagine the thrill it gave you both to see the deer feasting on your crab apples.

Maude Lynn said...

Oh, I bet that was beautiful!

My Mind's Eye said...

Hi Ms. Kay and Lindy...OMC a deer came to visit you that must have been very exciting. Did Lindy see it?
I don't know what I'd do if I looked out our dining room window to find a big critter like a deer.
hugs madi

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Hi, vedo che anche tu hai a che fare con la neve !
In Italia ne è caduta moltissima !!!
Tanti baci a Lindy :))
Myriam

Unknown said...

Fun post Kay!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Fran said...

What a wonderful moment. The only deer we get round here are muntjacs and even then more towards the fields xxxx

eileeninmd said...

Great post, Happy belated Birthday!

Dianne said...

I'm a December baby too :)
that window sounds perfect
I love your footprint photo

Pat said...

Looks like the deer have found a favorite food source!

Costin Comba said...

I think the deers were very happy when they eat your ornamental crabapple. Have a nice week. Greetings from Romania.