Followers

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

For Real Toads: magical realism

Kerry has suggested, in that way only Kerry can do, members and visitors at Imaginary Garden with Real Toads might want to write about Magical Realism today. 
Magical Realism, says Kerry, makes the ordinary seem magical and the supernatural seem commonplace.
She did provide photos, and I chose one as a prompt for my little ditty.

Black cats took over
Photo supplied. Unknown origin.
the town one day
when everyone else
was out to play.
They walked around
and sat in the street
and said to each other
“Isn’t this neat?
 We have all the cars
 and the houses, too,
 but we cannot drive
 ourselves to the zoo,
 or the ice cream store
 where we’re unable
 to open the door!”
“That’s right,” said one,
“and the special toys
 I get from my mom
 and dad and the boys—
 how do I manage
 to get in the house?”
“Never mind that, but
 what if a mouse
 gets in the cupboard?
 I’ll feel like a louse
 if ever a mouse
 gets the run of my house.”
They sat in the street
and pondered right there
’til the people came back
from they-didn’t-know-where
and picked up their cats
to take them all home,
and thus put an end
to this Magic Cat Poem.

11 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

So much fun!!!!!! I toad-ally love it:)

Kerry O'Connor said...

Oh this is splendid! The child in me applauds, and the scholar recognizes that it not as easy as it looks to write in this style, and make it as convincing as you have - rhyme, beat, humour, and a subtle message about the pitfalls of magical events. I love it.

Fireblossom said...

LOL! So THIS is what they do when their people are away!

hedgewitch said...

You had me laughing, Kay. These are some darn pragmatic kitties. ;_)

Lolamouse said...

Love the playfulness! The people were probably all afraid to cross the streets!

Laurie Kolp said...

Clever little things I'm sure had all the superstitious going batty!

Susie Clevenger said...

This made me smile..I was so needing it ...

Cezar and Léia said...

Dear Kay,
I'm enchanted by your post, how creative, super!
purrs
Luna and mammy Léia

jabblog said...

I love this and the lines 'I'll feel like a louse if ever a mouse gets the run of my house' just captivated me. Lovely rhymes and rhythms in this poem, Kay.

Cathy Feaster said...

haha...that was so much fun. I'm sure my "Lucy-Fur" was right in the middle of that take over!

Ella said...

Well Done, magic and comedy! You did a great job, I loved it~