Followers

Monday, February 20, 2012

For Real Toads: submitting my Mad limericks

© Photo by Richard Schear
Insomnia last night. Too many things going around in my head about the upcoming kitchen reno. Beautiful day today and I couldn't even think up something original for the microfiction prompt at Succinctly Yours. Had to resort to a quotation instead.
However, I did come up with three original (and true) limericks for Mad Kane's Limerick-Off, and am now submitting those for Open Link Monday at Imaginary Garden with Real Toads. I'm so glad it is Open Link today!
Now that I have you completely confused about what I'm doing and why, here are the three little limericks I wrote earlier to go with Madeleine's opening line "A fellow who had a degree..."

*

A fellow who has a degree
A doct’rate in something, you see,
His name is Gabor
Which I pronounce Gabber
Because he has gossiped ’bout me.
*
A Canadian who got a degree
In British-in-India hist'ry
Couldn’t come back
To BC, alack!
None at home would hire poor he.
*
A fellow who had a degree
From McGill could not teach Grade Three
Had to get an Ed Dip
Thus delaying his trip
To teach in the North Territ’ry

16 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

How I love your limericks. They suit your humorous style too well.

Lolamouse said...

My father in law used to say "You can take your degree and wipe your a-- with it!"

Anonymous said...

these are funny, especially the middle one


private dreamliner


snob limerick

Unknown said...

Very good Kay, had a giggle over all of them.

Scarlet said...

the first one is funny, but the last 2, sadly these are true. canada doesn't recognize any degrees except its own....happy day to you ~

Kay L. Davies said...

@ Heaven — thanks for your comment. However, it only applies to the middle one, my friend Robin who got his PhD in England.
The last one is my husband who went to McGill in Montreal and got a BA in sociology, but had to get a diploma in education as well, to qualify for teaching elementary school.
When I was young, people in BC could start teaching with a year or two of university, but I guess Quebec was different (in the 60s).
K

Mary said...

Ha ha, Kay! It truly fun to laugh with you at your limericks tonight.

Laurie Kolp said...

Haha... enjoyed these, Kay, especially the first one.

Semaphore said...

I was very lucky, I got my graduate degrees from Britain, and those are recognized as equivalent in Canada. Limericks are fun!

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Thanks so much for your fun contributions to this week's Limerick-Off!

Susie Clevenger said...

Love your limericks...I just can't write them

hedgewitch said...

I love Mad's limerick fest--these were fun. Thanks for sharing them.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Those are so funny -- and you are so talented!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

So humorous.........and catchy!

jabblog said...

Truth and humour wrapped together - couldn't be better:-)

Abin Chakraborty said...

funny as usual kay...your thousand laughs for my thousand-questions glance!