Followers

Friday, February 10, 2012

For Real Toads: musical challenge, Patti Smith

Marian's musical challenge today at Imaginary Garden with Real Toads features a longtime multi-media artist and Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame member named Patti Smith: songwriter, singer, musician, poet, journalist, actor, author, activist, who is as young as springtime and as old as I am.
Patti won the National Book Award for her autobiography Just Kids, and our Marian is going to see and hear her, perhaps meet her, next week, but first she introduced Patti to the writers at Real Toads as an inspiration for our poetic imaginations.
I was so sure I'd be inspired by Patti's song Wing, because I love the phrase "a wing on heaven blue" but instead the second song Marian posted turned out to be the one to inspire me to write this little poem:

*

Wikipedia photo
Smith performing with the
Patti Smith Group, in Germany, 1978

almost every road
is just a road—
but the one
that’s paved in gold
is the one
paved with love
and friendship
paved with warmth
companionship
and laughter
paved with care
for others—
all those
who care
and share
and help
and heal
and walk
with us
are gold

13 comments:

Debbie Taillieu said...

Hi Kay,
You always have the most interesting posts!
I learn something new everytime!
Happy Valentines Day to you and your sweetie!!
Debbie's Travels

Kerry O'Connor said...

This just makes me feel good! Great response written from the heart.

Fran said...

I love this poem, it feels very uplifting. Thank you xxxx

Mystic_Mom said...

I love your words, this poem has a lot of heart! Really special! Hugs you!

Kay said...

This is just so beautiful, Kay! This is a poem that should warm everybody's hearts today.

Fireblossom said...

Indeed they are. Lovely, Kay.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love this, Kay - warms the heart!

Hannah Pratt said...

I enjoy reading your poems. They are almost always optimistic. This one made me smile.

Peter Goulding said...

Nice one Kay, I like it a lot

Teresa said...

What a great happy and cheerful poem!

Susie Clevenger said...

Something to lift the spirits...Yes all those are gold

Marian said...

this little ditty gave me a shiver at the end. oh, love.

Margaret said...

Amen.

Truly, it reads like a prayer of thanksgiving.