Followers

Monday, February 6, 2012

For Real Toads: Open Link, February 6



"How dreary – to be – Somebody! 
How public – like a Frog – 
To tell one's name – the livelong June – 
To an admiring Bog!” 
― Emily Dickinson



It is Open Link Monday again at Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, and Kerry posted this little poem by Emily Dickinson, whose work I have always admired. I agree with Ms Dickinson in principle and in person, but I have chosen to disagree in verse, just to be perverse.


Disagreeing with Dickinson?

How lovely to be Somebody
http://www.people-clipart.com/
With admirers galore
Who know one’s name one’s livelong life,
And don’t think one a bore.

Pretty flowers brought backstage
From admirers faithful
Who cheer one’s name one’s livelong life
And don’t think fame disgraceful.

Interviews on TV shows
By admirers hosted
Who drop one’s name one’s livelong life
And make sure one is toasted.

—Kay Davies, © 2012

15 comments:

Mary said...

I love your response to Emily Dickinson! And yes, it is nice to be somebody (at least to some people).

Brother Ollie said...

Good exploration of the quote, and celebrity.

Kerry O'Connor said...

How smart is this parody! I love the recurring line, and found the concluding line to be wickedly gleeful. I'm glad you had fun with this.

cosmos cami said...

So interesting to think of her reading your take on fame and being somebody...
Really fun, Kay

Fireblossom said...

Kay. Do you REALLY want to be a Kardashian? :-P

Mary Ann Potter said...

Fabulously wonderful and wonderfully fabulous, Kay! I say a hearty AMEN to this --- who in the world wants obscurity when you can have fame? 8-)

Marian said...

pay attention to me!! :)

Semaphore said...

Interesting aphorisms. I always find it fascinating reading and writing poems in the style of a classic poet.

hedgewitch said...

To each his own but I don't think I could handle it. I'm with Emily on the whole recluse thing. Which is probably good in my case as it's way more achievable. ;_)

Hannah Pratt said...

I am going with hedgewitch on this one. The look at me look at me stuff gets old when people start looking all of the time. I'd rather be *cough* *cough* stay a recluse.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Kay, I came back to say that you spoil me with your kind comments. Thank you :)

Cad said...

Such fame often comes with a high price, though...

Kay L. Davies said...

@ Almost everyone — I agree with Emily Dickinson. I'd hate to be famous. I'm happy being me, but I just wrote this parody to be (as I said) perverse. It was fun writing it, though, and if my Unfittie book becomes a best-seller, I might sign a few books at small bookstores. LOL
K

Margaret said...

... I'm sure it is enjoyable for a while! :)

Love you taking the opposite trek with this!

Jenn Jilks said...

Well done! I spent the afternoon reading, could have spent it writing!
Cheers from Cottage Country!