Followers

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

For Real Toads: Kenia's challenge: dialogue

Not a real toad

At the writers' group, Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, Kenia has asked us to write a poem as dialogue with someone else's poem. Now this not an easy challenge, but I'm going to try to respond to it because spoken dialogue is difficult for me today. My throat is so sore, I've almost lost my voice. Talking hurts. My niece phoned me, and was quite happy to do all the talking, and I'm sure a salesperson in a call center somewhere would be happy to talk at me, but that's about it for today, because my husband isn't here.
So, I will try to reply to Ella's question "do you listen?" which can be found by clicking HERE.



when I’ve walked in the evening
I’ve never thought
to listen
for the sound of a falling star
but from now on,
I will.
*

when a dove glides
toward spring’s light
and a feather flutters
to my feet,
I thank her.
*
when a friend asks
do you listen?
I say
I do:
*
I
do,
now.
Thanks, Ella,
and thanks, Kenia!

14 comments:

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Kay
Thanks for coming by, sore throat and all. Loved your take on the poem. I don't think we listen enough. Life is so busy these days.

Take care.
Nancy

Joyful said...

Such pretty thoughts.

I'm very sorry to hear of your sore throat and lack of voice. Please rest and you'll be feeling better in no time. Hugs. xx

Kenia Santos said...

Oh Kay, there are so many things that go unnoticed if we don't commit to noticing them. I'm glad myself when I see things for a first time and can dream they'll be there next time I look.

Kisses. <3

Susie Clevenger said...

You have created a wonderful response...there is so much we miss because we don't "listen"

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Kay, I LOVE this poem, and it answers Ella's so beautifully....."I do, now...." just PERFECT!!!!!!!!

Sallie (FullTime-Life.com said...

That's lovely -- you are so talented Kay! Hope your throat is getting better. (I could name a couple people who would never realize that I had laryngitis during a phone conversation, because I'm just there to listen!)

Mary said...

Kay, this is a beautiful poem. I know Ella's poem well, and it inspired ME to listen to sounds of nature around me; and your poem....well, I know you DO indeed listen. It is a beautiful response to Ella's.

Ella said...

Kay, this is amazing! It feels like a gift~ I'm touched and thrilled you decided to use it! Thank you, I feel truly honored (((hugs)))
It was perfect!

Ella said...

I posted and it didn't show...this is me, testing!

Cad said...

Talking and listening are as good a partnership as Ada and I!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Reading this I am witness to the power of poetry: the influence one person's words have on another. Wonderful response.

hedgewitch said...

This is a beautiful response that any poet would like to hear to her work. I remember Ella's poem well, and this completes the circle of the question it raised. Nice job, Kay, and hope you are feeling better soon.

Herotomost said...

Great response....I got the same feelings after reading the original poem but you have done a better job responding than I would have been able to. Hope you are feeling better. Great job.

Fireblossom said...

Please come down south to the USA and give your croaky throat to all of the political candidates!