Followers

Sunday, November 13, 2011

With Real Toads: Orion poetic form


Kerry, of the writers' group Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, received an e-mail from Dr. FTSE, introducing her to the Orion poetic form. Kerry decided to use it for today's Sunday Mini-Challenge, although it seems like a full-size challenge to me.


The ORION in its short form has 7 lines, 7 being the number of stars in the "simple" form of the Orion Constellation, i.e. without the Hunter's shield and club.
The seven lines must begin with the initial letter of the names of the 7 stars working in sequence from the celestial zenith, ie, 
B, B, M, A, A, R, S (see picture) and each line in the "pure" form of the Orion, must have seven syllables, but flexibility is allowed. There is no set rhyme scheme.

KEY: The seven principal stars in the ORION group.
Betelgeuse, Bellatrix, Mintaka, Alnilam, Alnitak, Rigel, Saiph.

I must admit that although I knew of Orion, the hunter, etc., the only star in this constellation whose name I knew was Betelgeuse, and that only because my young brother, introduced me to the animated cartoon Beetlejuice. (I was not impressed.)
Anyway, what do I know? Here I am, a little old lady retired from the nearly-defunct newspaper and printing industry, hanging out in cyberspace with serious poets, who throw famous names around like confetti. But it's fun trying to respond to the prompts at Real Toads, so here I am.
I produced five attempts at the Orion today, and wasn't completely unhappy with two of them.
Here, then, are my two submissions for today. One is called Love and the other, although unrelated in style except as it conforms to the Orion, is called Marriage. No horse and carriage relationship intended.

*
LOVE
*
Bending under the weight of
Beauty, held fast by your love,
My body cannot remain
All my own, not any more...
Avenues I never knew
Reveal themselves to me now,
Saying take me, I am yours.


*


MARRIAGE
*
building a life together
bonding, agreeing (or not)
making sure each day will count
accepting, giving (a lot)
arranging, rearranging,
realizing what you’ve got—
secure in one another

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's cool that you were able to pull yourself away from writing about Orion, stars, constellations etc.

Laurie Kolp said...

Oh, I do love this form... will have to check it out (I've been away from the computer all day).

Lorna Cahall said...

I have one attempt on my blog.
Lots of fun.

www.lornacahall.blogspot.com

Susie Clevenger said...

What wonderful poems in Orion form. I have yet to attempt it.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Two sides to love and the relationships that exist between partners.

Leslie said...

I really really like the one entitled, "LOVE." Both are good, but I think "LOVE" is quite beautiful. And I admire your perseverance in learning and trying different poetic forms. Somehow the form thing boggles my not-so-mathematical mind.