Followers

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

ABC Wednesday: R: rollerblades in Russia

During our August holiday with Viking River Cruises, we realized Russia isn't very different from any other country in Europe or in North America. We saw lots of young people, some on bicycles, some on motorcycles, some on skateboards and some on rollerblades. We saw serious rollerbladers...


...and recreational rollerbladers.
© Photos by Kay Davies and Richard Schear

These photos were taken in the city of Yaroslavl, which I mentioned in the summer due to a devastating plane crash on the banks of the River Volga, and which I will feature when ABC Wednesday gets to the end of the alphabet.
Posted for the letter R on
ABC Wednesday
Mrs. Nesbitt's alphabetical meme, hosted by Mrs. N. and her talented team.
To see how the letter R inspired others, please click

19 comments:

Mara said...

And here I was thinking I would get to see Kay on rollerblades in Russia. Ah well, next time...

Meryl said...

Wonderful take on "R". Funny how you get an impression of a country and you go and it looks so much like home. I suppose the differences are subtler - in the architecture, the food, dress, idioms...

Chubskulit Rose said...

Wow, is it a common thing there?

Martha said...

That looks ridiculously fun. Pass me a pair!

Berowne said...

Post-modernism comes to Russia -- in the form of roller skates. Good post.

anthonynorth said...

Yes, people are the same the world over. It is the systems that vary - usually to the annoyance of the people. They just want to get on with life.

Chronicles of Illusions said...

great post - if we look beyond it isn't often we can't find similarities in every land

Hildred said...

I used to love roller skating, Kay, - on the old kind of skates that had a key to tighten them up!!!

Carver said...

Rollerblading in Russia is a great choice for the letter R.

Roger Owen Green said...

I'm terrible at skating of all types, though it always looks like fun.

PLUS: foreshadowing!

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Kim, USA said...

This is one sport that I like to learn because I am so scared to try. ^_^

R- Red Rays

Leslie: said...

I was never any good at roller skating - I remember when I was about 8 years old, I feel down flat on my butt and lost my breath! I couldn't breathe for so long I thought I was dying...very scary for a kid! Now, ice skating was fun - it's where Lorne and I met! :D

Tumblewords: said...

Great pictures! I never made the leap from the old style skates to the roller blades and I'll bet it's too late now. :) Great shots.

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

I am Really Rotten at Rollerblading and Rollerskating!

Nanka said...

Good word for the R-Day!! Very graceful physical exertion and much mental exhilaration I suppose. Never stepped into one myself!!

Joy said...

I love to see people roller-blading, and the long straight road looks and ideal place.

Kathy said...

Kids are the same the world over.

Scriptor Senex said...

A great R.

jabblog said...

It's interesting to see that the tree trunks are painted white. I wonder if it prevents accidents?