Followers

Friday, November 18, 2011

Angel: for Real Toads, and for Weekend Writers

Marian's musical prompt for Imaginary Garden with Real Toads is the song She's an Angel by the band They Might Be Giants.
At the top of the post she wrote *your angel here* and it made me think of my father, who died two years ago next week.
Mother died in 2007, and Dad's dementia was already so advanced he didn't know she was gone. He thought she was still with him. We all decided to be grateful for that, and to consider it a blessing, because he would have been devastated if he knew.
I'm also posting this for Weekend Writers' Retreat hosted by Grandma's Goulash.


an angel hovers
just outside my view:
I turn my head
and he is gone.
an angel’s hand is
just beyond my reach:
I hold my hand
out, his is gone.
but his presence is
not beyond my ken:
I know he’s there
and has not gone.
an angel hovers
just above my head
I smile and say
you are not gone.
— in memory of my father who died November 25, 2009, and whose life and creative legacy will always be with me

5 comments:

Marian said...

oh, sigh, beautiful, Kay.
just beyond your reach, but not gone.
how comforting.

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is just such a special poem - or song. I love the cadence given by the subtle repetition: the reiteration of the person's absence, makes his presence all the more strongly felt.

jabblog said...

Beautiful, Kay. Our loved ones are always with us, I think.

Scarlet said...

A lovely tribute to your father. Very moving share ~

Jinksy said...

That's a great angel illustration you have for this poem! ♥