Followers

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thursday Theme Song: when he was...

"Association Football" is referred to as "soccer" here in North America, and "the beautiful game" elsewhere. (We don't know why.)
My Davies grandfather, who played it when he was a young man in Glasgow, Scotland, called it fitba' and used to amaze us when we were little, because he could hit the ball over the telephone and electrical wires—using his head! My brother and I were ever so impressed.
Many years later, my youngest brother played futbol in Mexico. His teammates had a nickname for him...it meant "speedy little lizard" but I can never remember the Spanish word.
Earlier this year, I watched his daughter, my 9-year-old niece, play soccer. Grandpa would have loved to see his sport continue through two more generations. You can bet those young Canadian girls weren't hitting the ball with their heads, however, with their "soccer moms" watching.


*
When he was a little bitty bairn,
Grandpa's dad would take him to soccer
On them old football fields back home
*
It was up in Burns's old Scotland
More than a mile from merry old England
On them old football fields back home
*
Oh when them soccer balls get rotten
You can’t hit them with your noggin
On them old football fields back home

*
Photo and flags courtesy of Mr. Google
Posted for Hootin' Anni's musical meme
Thursday Theme Song
Thanks, Anni!
To see what songs inspired other music-bloggers, please click  HERE!

12 comments:

Fran said...

When you live in the UK with three boys and a husband you have to learn to love football! Also being female it is obligatory that you don't understand the 'off-side rule'!!!! xxx

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

FiFA coming up?

Kay said...

Thank you for the chuckle before I take myself off to bed, Kay. This is fabulous! You have such a gift with words.

diane b said...

It is my favourite sport. I watched Australia play against Thailand on TV last night. We won but they didn't play thier best. However they have qualified for the next round in the World Cup qualifiers.

Jenn Jilks said...

Love your blog
love your water
you inspire
as bloggers oughtter!

Jenn Jilks said...

P.S. I'm feeling so 'unfit' this week. Long weeks of fighting rashes, hubby with a crippled, long-term sore back, us not able to get outdoors. sigh.
Glad to be back in the world, dragging hubby in to get a new pair of eye glasses. The day of his birthday he broke them. I feel so badly for him!

Jo said...

I love all the different names for soccer, as this game is known in South Africa. Of course, last year, SA hosted the FIFA world cup soccer but Bafana Bafana was out in the second round. Blessings and hugs Jo

Friko said...

There's murder and mayhem in our house when England play Germany! Or when Liverpool and Everton played with my kids around.

The beautiful game!!

SquirrelQueen said...

Being a southern girl I know the song well and I love CCR's version.

I like to watch Mexican futbol sometimes. I played soccer in college but I was never that good at the head shots.

Hootin Anni said...

Super....y'know, I wasn't much on soccer years ago...but, now I am really getting enjoyment of watching the sport. It only took me 60 years, but I'm hooked.

Loved your play on words again. Your song for the week---always fun for the soul.

Really enjoyed this one this week.

Duck Song

My Mind's Eye said...

Great song...I must admit soccer became very big in the USA in the mid 80's. No one in my family ever played soccer but we have lots of young friends who play and we like to cheer them on.
Hugs Madi and Mom

Lighthousegal said...

Soccer is definitely a subject of discussion in this house! My son Lettered in Soccer in High School. Before that, I really didn't know much about it and sure never realized how rough it could get. But, my son loved it. So I became a "Soccer Mom".
My step-son eats, sleeps and breathes soccer. He plays in two leagues and has just been accepted onto the Olympic Development Team. My huband's visitaton has been Court set Around the soccer schedule, which is year round. Sometimes we go months without seeing him due to his soccer schedule.
Love the spin you put on the song.
Great Post.