Followers

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Sunday mini-challenge for Real Toads

Kerry has given us a Christmas challenge for this weekend at the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads.
She has provided four lovely photos by Real Toads stars Teresa Perin, Ellen Wilson, Margaret Bednar, and Isadora Gruye.
In addition, Kerry has suggested the Common or Hymnal octave form, but more about that later.
First is Izy's photo, which answers a childhood question: do angels have shadows?
Then, a poem not in one of the forms suggested by Kerry, but a poem which sprang from my one creative brain cell fully formed at the sight of Izy's picture. It is a uniquely 2012 Christmas poem.
(The answer to the question: yes, angels have shadows, but ghosts don't.)

Isadora Gruye photo, copyright


bright shining, cold morning, yon star
shy shepherds, sweet angels, afar

was the world ready
such gifts to receive?
or were men waiting
the poor to deceive?

how has the world used them, these gifts?
in all our communities—rifts!
~

To get back to Kerry's suggested octaves, which are as follows:

Kay L. Davies photo
Common Octave

x x x x a
x x x x b
x x x x x x c
x x x x b
x x x x a
x x x x b
x x x x x x c
x x x x b

Hymnal Octave

x x x x a
x x x x b
x x x x x x a
x x x x b
x x x x a
x x x x b
x x x x x x a
x x x x b                                                                                                        

So, I figured out this much: First line: 8 syllables, stress on every second syllable, as in: O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum.
Second line, six syllables, however, thereby ending the similarity to O Tannenbaum, except every second syllable is still to be accentuated.

And, obviously, the two octaves are misnamed, because the "common" one is definitely more complicated than the "hymnal" one, containing, as it does, a C  rhyme, so I ignored commonality altogether, invented my own word with which to start, and came up with:

Kay L. Davies photo
Festivily 'round bright green tree
our Christmas colors shine
highlighting love 'tween dog and we
throughout this wondrous rhyme.
Because we have the family
invited here to dine,
we must clean up all our debris
from some more canine times.


And the reason? Our dog Lindy, of course, plus the fact that we watched the 2008 movie Marley and Me on TV last night. We laughed and we cried and we cuddled Lindy as much as we could.
And nobody is coming here for Christmas dinner. Whew! I'm so relieved! The last two turkeys I cooked were less than successful.



14 comments:

LLM Calling said...

I love both your poems. Marley and me is so sad, no-one warmed us and we watched it when R was 4 - not great.

Scarlet said...

I am struggling with this form ~

Creative use of questions, I think we are not ready to receive such blessed gifts ~

Wishing you and your family Merry Christmas ~

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Woof!

Unknown said...

Dear Kay~
As I read this my two miniature dachshunds and my beagle grand-dog are racing from dog door, through kitchen, to family room and back again. And there is joy! Happiest of holiday seasons!
KIM

Sherry Blue Sky said...

The book Marley and Me almost did me in. I was better prepared for the movie but it did my daughter in. She was sobbing so hard she couldnt form words........there will be five people and six dogs here for Christmas this year. Two black doggies missing. I'm thinking, come spring, I may add a little black puppy to the mix:)IF it looks exactly like Pup!!!!!

Susan said...

Good work, Kay, just a little rebellious, seriously true, and truly loving. Thank you for these two poems.

Kay said...

I read the book too and cried even worse.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Oh, dear Kay, you take the cake!

SquirrelQueen said...

It's getting late here and trying to understand the two suggested octaves is making my brain hurt!

I do like your poems. I haven't watched Marley & Me yet as I had already heard it was sad. Maybe one of these days.

Laurie Kolp said...

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, Kay!

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm with you. When we lived far away, the poor kids had so many turkeys anyway.

They're taking in a lone brother.
I'm fighting the cold the grandkids gave me.
We'll have a quiet one around here.
Hubby doesn't have good memories of Christmas, so it is just as well.
I have been buying turkey breasts, simpler to cook. Hubby doesn't like turkey, either!
sigh.

Marian said...

Marley & Me is sad? thank you for the public service announcement! and i like both of your poems :)

Kay L. Davies said...

@ EVERYONE
Marley & Me is only sad at the end. The rest of the time it is too fun and too silly for words.
K

Hannah said...

You did great with these and I appreciate some explanation of the stresses...I don't really get it though, still...Marley and Me made me ball....such a good sad-happy story. Glad to hear you had a nice Christmas day!