Followers

Thursday, December 20, 2012

A pastiche for the Imaginary Garden

Over at the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, Kerry asked us to write a pastiche poem, and provided us with the following definition:

pastiche [pa-steesh, pah-]
noun
1. a literary, musical, or artistic piece consisting wholly or chiefly of motifs or techniques borrowed from one or more sources.
2. an incongruous combination of materials, forms, motifs, etc. taken from different sources; hodgepodge.


I, of course, translated that to mean an incongruous hodgepodge, what else?

Kay Davies photo, December, 2012

*
what does it take to make such trees?
imagination, greens and cheese;
thought and planning, then more thought,
before we’d see what thought had wrought
  
a cheese ball’s what I planned at first
but, having neither ham nor wurst,
I thought I’d be a bit creative:
to shape a tree — one that is native
to BC’s coast where I was born (early one December morn)

*

The most incongruous part of the whole project is that I dreamt, even for one moment, that this looks like a tree, Douglas Fir or otherwise.
Then again, there's the part wherein I imagine any of my friends will want to dip a cracker into the above mixture this evening, then voluntarily eat it.
Sigh.



9 comments:

Marian said...

i don't know, Kay, that looks delicious to me! invite me over.

Kay L. Davies said...

@ Marian... you're welcome any time!
K

Helen said...

I would absolutely dip a cracker into this yummy looking 'masterpiece.' Happy Holidays.

Ella said...

Kay, I want some...
I love how fun your poem was~
Happy Holidays! I love trees...yours looks delicious :D

Kay L. Davies said...

@ Everyone — we went to a potluck party tonight and I was surprised how many people enjoyed my cheese ball "tree" — two asked me for the recipe and I had to admit I made it by ear.
I looked up cheese ball recipes, got an idea what sort of things could go in, talked to a friend who has made many of them, then went ahead with my big stand mixer and mixed up lots of cream cheese, grated cheddar, grated mozzarella, chopped green, yellow and orange peppers, a sploosh of sweet onion salad dressing in lieu of brandy or olive oil, et voilá, the consistency seemed right, so sprinkled in some veggie spice (my favorite salt-free seasoning), decorated with more sweet peppers and some dried blueberries. Success! Who knew?
K

vivinfrance said...

The first thing I saw was a tree. Brilliant - ball, poem and recipe!
Where can I get salt-free veggie spice? Incidentally,
Cheddar cheese has a lot of salt in, which is why I can no longer eat my favourite cheese, being on a salt-free,low-fat diet. Food has lost its savour for me.

Susie Clevenger said...

Wonderful piece for both poetic and physical appetite. :)

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is a delight, Kay. I hope your dinner party went well, and also a belated Happy Birthday :)

Tami Von Zalez said...

That there is a LOT of parsley ...

Visiting from Best Posts of the Week.

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com