Followers

Monday, December 17, 2012

Our World Tuesday was Bratislava one day


On one of the final days of our Grand European Tour with Viking River Cruises last month, I felt well enough for a bus tour to the castle in Bratislava, Slovakia, with my intrepid photographer.

After we saw the castle (parts of which were old although much was rebuilt in the Soviet era) and also many newer buildings in the city, Dick and most other passengers stayed in downtown Bratislava to explore.


The 5 areas above were fascinating to see, and I'm glad I was able to go. Dick took the next 5 photos, right, and below, after the tour bus returned me to the Viking Danube.

It's unfortunate I felt unwell on our holiday last month, but I picked an excellent place to be under the weather, with all meals provided for us, and coffee, tea, and snacks in the Viking Lounge all day.
Photos by Richard Schear
November, 2012

11 comments:

Powell River Books said...

Europe has so many beautiful historic buildings. You are so lucky to get to see them. - Margy

Indrani said...

Yes, a grand place! I was there last year. :)

Kay said...

That is certainly a beautiful palace. Castle? I'm glad you were feeling better and able to venture out. I'm hoping I can stay healthy when we go to China.

Penelope Postcards said...

Fascinating pictures by your intrepid photographer. The buildings all look so solid and meant to withstand all manner of catastrophe. I look forward to a chat some time soon over the holidays, Kay. :)

Fran said...

Such beautiful buildings with real character. I would love to go to Eastern Europe at some point soon xxx

Unknown said...

Great shots!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Daryl said...

it was like being in a high class convalescent home with lots of good company

Mara said...

What better place to be ill than in a place where you don't have to do anything!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

How wonderful those old buildings are - steeped in history!

Phil Slade said...

Hey, are you on commission from VRC Kay? LOL. Good to hear they looked after you. My only experience of the Mayans was seeing their old haunts in Mexico where they indulged in human sacrifice.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beautiful places you saw if only from your deck chair! And it was a good time to be pampered.

I enjoyed the post below and the link to the bull o'meter ;>). Fun. Scary.