Followers

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Fireblossom invites Toadal disaster

Yesterday, at the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, our fabulous Fireblossom, having recently fried her computer by trying to clean it, challenged everyone to write a poem about a disaster. I recently killed my keyboard by spilling hot chocolate on it, but my husband bought me a new one, so I won't write about that.

Fireblossom provided helpful hints, such as: Write a poem about getting that pink slip, or slipping down some other slippery slope! and They say, if you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then you don't understand the situation!

Well, I've seen disasters galore over a longish and too interesting lifetime, but one that happened about 20 years ago still stands out in my mind.

Walt Disney, 1937


HOLD ON A MINUTE,  DWARFS DEAR


workaholics
shouldn’t work so hard
coming in early
and leaving late —
stress and tessure-prension
take their toll...
suddenly you’re flat on your back
unable to move a muscle without pain
and as soon as
your sick days are used up
your employer gets fed up
with your face
and you’re out on your ass
with nothing but pain
no money to pay the mortgage
so you sell your house and
live on the proceeds
until you're a pensioner... THE END
Kay Davies, December, 2012



10 comments:

Daryl said...

oy and vey

Unknown said...

The same to you!! And the guinea pigs send their best regards too:)

Ola is in my lap right now and sends his lovely purrs.

hedgewitch said...

I can definitely relate! Very clever, Kay.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Wow, this doesnt sound like a disaster, it sounds like a recipe for Living Well. Hee hee. You are a clever girl.

Jennifer Wagner said...

"tessure-prension" ha! I like that. Calamitous indeed.

Phil Slade said...

Hope that wasn't a personal plea Kay, seems like you know how to relax, especially will all those holidays.

LLM Calling said...

oh no, too sad. and yet also really freeing

Kerry O'Connor said...

Sounds all too familiar.

Fireblossom said...

The 80s in a nutshell, when people who worked 90 hour weeks were held up as ones to be emulated and admired. I thought it was insane then, and still do.

I got a good laugh out of "Toadal" disaster!

Margaret said...

Work until your back breaks and then get thrown onto the rubbish pile... crazy, for sure.