Followers

Friday, June 29, 2012

Real Toads: Marian's musical challenge

Marian's musical challenge yesterday featured the Jayhawks' song Blue from their 1995 album Tomorrow the Green Grass.
I borrowed some of their lyric, and some of the song's format, in this poem for today, June 29, my mother's birthday. Although it's been five years since she died, and this year will be three since Dad died, it seems like yesterday. So this is for Mom and Dad.
Posted for the online writers' group Imaginary Garden with Real Toads.
 
 

Always thought I’d be someone
Then I thought I was wrong
Never did very much with
What I did all along

But you, you were always there
And I knew that you cared
  
Now I know I’ve been someone
Someone all along
You never cared very much for
Sketch from Google
What I feared all along
  
You made me feel so good
And you told me I would
  
Always, always be someone
Someone all life long
Always, always be someone
Someone your life long.

10 comments:

Helen said...

Your poem speaks volumes about the love you have for your parents ... I know you miss them.

Susie Clevenger said...

What a beautiful poem about the faith your folks had in you...My mom died in 2007 and my dad in 2011..I miss them so much.

Joyful said...

Sending you hugs on this day. P xx

Hannah said...

This is so sweet...the image you use definitely helped to bring depth to the meaning behind the who in this piece. So touching. :)

kaykuala said...

How noble of you,Kay! It's only when they are not with us that we missed them much more(both my parents had passed on) Sometimes little things bring tears. If we have dishes my late mother used to make it just needs someone to mention it and that would start it. Bless them all!

Hank

Kay said...

This is so beautiful, Kay. You are so talented. You always manage to find the right words to express your thoughts. Your parents must have been really special people to have nurtured a person as amazing as you.

Daydreamer said...

No matter how many years pass, they are still our mom or dad and, if they have passed we always miss them. Lovely thoughts and tribute to your parents.

Kerry O'Connor said...

It is such a special thing to remember a parent in poetry on their birthday - so heart-warming. Thank you for sharing your words with us, Kay.

Archna Sharma said...

This is beautiful, Kay. How lovely to see that they still shine through you. Many blessings.

Marian said...

awwww. hugs!