Followers

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

L is for Los Cabos, and M is for Mexico

We've been traveling again, so I missed one post to ABC Wednesday. Therefore, I have two today.
Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo (locally known as Los Cabos) comprise the two cities at the southernmost point of the Baja Peninsula. My family lived in the northern part of the Baja for many, many winters in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, but I had never visited the southern part of the peninsula. I was delighted when Dick found a perfect combination — six nights in a condo between Balboa Park and downtown San Diego, then a cruise from San Diego to Manzanillo, Puerto Vallarta, and "Los Cabos" (Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo).







El Arco, above, and below, the only beach that is on the Pacific Ocean on one side and on the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California) on the other side.


On the Pacific side of the northern Baja Peninsula is Ensenada, now a thriving modern tourist city, no longer the dusty little town between desert and ocean that I first saw in the 1970s.



Dolphins, above and below.











The Magnificent Frigate Bird (above). This one is likely a female.






10 comments:

Daryl said...

what a gorgeous part of the world, makes me wish I was there right now

Laurie Kolp said...

As I've said before, thank you for letting me live vicariously through you, Kay.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

OMG!!!!!! Such GLORIOUS sites. I love rock archways like these. Sigh....how completely beautiful. So lovely to share the journey in here. I have dreamed of Encenada.......

Dimple said...

Welcome back!
Looks like a good time was had by all...except maybe Lindy...does she have to stay home? :-)

The photo of the arch and beach is beautiful!

Mara said...

You're just showing off! The only thing I saw in Northern Ireland was rain!!!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Fabulous photo journal, Kay. And so glad to see you back in the garden.

Sallie (FullTime-Life.com said...

Drooling with envy! We visited Ensenada in the 70s/80s...it sure HAS changed. I'm happy to know your cruise was good and safe -- we hear such awful stuff about Mexico lately ..but before we sold our house and when we spent winters in CA and AZ we used to go across often (and spent some fly-in vacations in Puerto Vallerta) but all that was years ago now.

Carola Bartz said...

Beautiful photos, Kay. They make me want to pack and go, right now. The Frigate bird reminds me of my high school graduation exam in biology...

Leslie said...

Love that friendly pelican, and the seals!

Frostbite and Sunburn said...

Great shots - looks a great place for a holiday. And I love the seals!