Followers

Saturday, April 14, 2012

For Real Toads: Susie's photos

For members and contributors to the writers' group Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, Kerry has introduced another skill of poet Susie Clevenger, who blogs as the Laundry Goddess—her photography talent.
Kerry posted several of Susie's photos as inspiration for the Sunday Challenge, the only Real Toads challenge that gives us a full 24 hours for contemplation.
I zoomed in right away on Susie's black and white photo of a traditional train station because, after dogs and cats, I love trains best. Then I noticed her fabulous portrait of a red iguana. I don't claim to love iguanas yet, but we've been seeing a lot of them the past several years, and I'm getting used to their prehistoric je-ne-sais-quoi.
I'm glad I have 24 hours in which to decide.
*
Later:
The iguana won, and its poem is done (but if it makes you think of a Beatles song, I'm sure it's not my fault). First, however, here's Susie's train station photo. If I hadn't just come home from traveling, this would make me want to go somewhere.



© Susie Clevenger photos




big red iguana,
jungle at your feet,
eating leaves
and vegetables,
nasturtiums as a treat.
not eating
other animals,
an herbivore are you:
asparagus
and parsnips,
a bit of spinach, too.
peaceful iguana,
people you won’t chase,
though they might
run away from you
as fast as they can race.
if approached, iguana,
you might bite or slash
because you’re stressed
or irritated,
(human beings are overrated).

20 comments:

Karen said...

Oh I love this ode to the iguana! I love lizards, and have on of my very own.

Lolamouse said...

First I had a Beatles song in my head. Then I had the song "Karma Chameleon" in my head after the photo and your poem! Love your whimsical take on the prompt!

Anonymous said...

well it did make me think of a Beatles song - and I'm not sure you haven't outdone them lyrics-wise... ;) (wait! I love them, that's not what I meant!)

Anonymous said...

"jungle at your feet" and "nasturtiums" are my favorite bits; I like this. :)

rosemarymint.wordpress.com

diane b said...

Too clever! Tell us about your travels.

Maude Lynn said...

I LOVE it!

Margaret said...

A herbivore that bites and slashes... yikes. I'll take a bunny rabbit any day :)

Fireblossom said...

Lady Iguana? Cute, Kay!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Yes, humans are over rated. Love the eclectic diet of the iguana!

SquirrelQueen said...

I love that shot of the train station.

You song does remind me of the Beatles. I would like to hear Paul croon "a bit of spinach, too".

Kerry O'Connor said...

I love the way you have introduced this most unusual reptile to us!

Cad said...

Love your last line! Ha ha!

hedgewitch said...

Kay I absolutely loved this tongue and cheek take on Lady Madonna meets the Red Iguana! And the end is very fitting I think to how an iguana probably feels about our hyperactive mammalian jumps and starts. Nice.(I agree, too, Susie's pictures were very hard to pick from--they all were calling my name.)

Scarlet said...

Ha..ha.. I love it. Nice take on the iguana picture...I was scared to use this ~ Happy sunday to you ~

Mary said...

I love iguanas too, and I enjoyed your poem greatly. Well crafted.

carol l mckenna said...

Very creative poem ~ great blog ~ great post and love your dog ~ thanks, namaste, ^_^

Hannah said...

He has such a personality, I enjoy your glimpse into his life!

Susie Clevenger said...

I love this iguana ode you wrote from my photograph. There is humor and truth in it. I took it in Cozumel, Mexico. He/she just lay on the limb and let me take pictures.

The black and white depot picture was taken in Kearney, Missouri. The home and final resting place of the outlaw Jesse James.

Herotomost said...

I walk by bastions of Iguanas sitting and sunning on half built buildings when I am in Isla Holbox. I love them, and this was a stunning tribute to their majesty...and in keeping a respectful distance.

Mary Ann Potter said...

Oh, very cool and quite Beatle-ish, nearly Sergeant Pepperish. Iguanas are fascinating as is this nifty poem!!!