Followers

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

For Real Toads: a work of love

Izy's Out of Standard Challenge is a two-day event this week at the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads but, unusually for me, I am writing this on the first day. Out of standard, indeed.

Izy challenges me to think of the worst job I ever had, make a list of words or phrases describing the job or how I felt about the job, and use those words in a poem that is not about said work.

Whew, a challenging job indeed, Izy, but here I have risen to the call—as a phoenix rises out of the ashes, so do I rise out of the mind-numbing stress of reporting my stolen wallet, eager to present fellow Toads and other poets with barely-poetical nonsense once again.

It's good to be back, too. We cruised from Miami, Florida, to ancient Venice, and had a wonderful time, except for the theft on the train from Naples on the second-last day of our unguided tour of Italy. I loved going to Europe by ship. As the phoenix and the other birds say, it's the only way to fly. And there are ships traveling to Australia from Vancouver, the city in whose environs I spent my working life. This gives me to think, indeed.

*

my angel, my darling,
for you do I long,
hours out of every day
and all the night...
Wikipedia image
there is no help for me.

I will always love you,
I cry while my poor
pained heart yearns
for the responsibility
of caring for you.

there are dead lines
on my forehead
as I double shift
my sports car past the house
where once we lived,
where once we loved.



Day 2 of Izy's challenge: I am reminded I forgot to include my list of job complaints:
long hours
poor paying
no help
double shifts
deadlines
responsibility (without corresponding pay, of course)



10 comments:

Kay said...

I'm glad everything on the cruise went well since the other Carnival ship was a nightmare. Hope you are recuperating well.

Isadora Gruye said...

Welcome back home, Kay! While I felt this piece did a great job of capturing the yearning and rebirth of desire...I very much enjoyed your word play in the third stanza, which I found to be an astonishingly strong end:

here are dead lines
on my forehead
as I double shift
my sports car past the house
where once we lived,
where once we loved

deadlines on the forehead, instead of in the inbox! Double shifting a car instead of pulling a double work shift....clever clever. Thank you so much for participating in my prompt, you always bring so much to the table!! viva la

Unknown said...

Glad you had a god time:) Theft is never nice, but all in all a good time. The furballs say hello :)

Marian said...

Kay, i LOVE this poem. just love it inside and out. wow.
welcome back!!

Daryl said...

welcome home!

Kerry O'Connor said...

I also love the lines that Izy has highlighted, and your use of work related words is so very clever.

De Jackson said...

Those last two lines linger. So sad, and so beautiful.

Peggy said...

Wow I am impressed with how you wove the words into this so smoothly! A lovely write and tribute to a love.

hedgewitch said...

Why does something always happen to mess up a perfect vacation? (Well, in my experience, anyway.)My wallet was stolen like that in Mexico City--gosh, the stress is unbelievable, so this poem is even more exceptional, coming out of those feelings. Izy has quoted my fave lines...great job with the prompt, Kay, and welcome back.

Susie Clevenger said...

Welcome home! Sorry about the theft, but so glad you had a good time. Love the poem!