Followers

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Susan Says: extended similes, please

dumpaday.com
Susan's challenge today, for members and followers of the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, is Stretching Comparisons, wherein she asks us to write a poem as an extended simile.

The examples Susan provided were from Homer's Iliad, and from the poet Navarre Scott Momaday, two tough acts to follow.

I've chosen Momaday's simile in, I hope, a completely different way.


northtorontocatrescue.com
freeforfb.com


melpomeme.org
what can we say to each other now?
now that we’re like two cats in one box
backs arched, tails up,
green eyes flashing,
spitting, sparring,
backing up into our corners
only to move again,
scratching, clawing,
perhaps at air,
perhaps at one another,
hissing, growling,
zazzle.com
yowling without understanding,
finally falling asleep, separately,
only to waken,
both in the center of the box,
wrapped together
in temporary amity




Note: none of these photos are mine, so I have attributed them as I have found them, in the hope I have not contravened any copyright.

18 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Not much can beat a two cats in a box analogy! Well done, Kay.

Anonymous said...

This is certainly a tempestuous relationship!

Susan said...

Perfect! I was laughing aloud at the pictures so came to your words with what might have been an inappropriate levity. I hate those fights! But it is the morning that matters. Wonderful and again, wonderful!

Unknown said...

You illustrate the relationship so well, Kay. Makes me count my lucky stars I have not had such an experience. Great use of descriptive phrases.

Mara said...

Well, even though you're (quite regrettably according to my monsters) a dog person, you do know your cats!

Friko said...

Well chosen pictures but your words top them. Excellent poem about cats, that’s them indeed!

Maude Lynn said...

Outstanding, Kay!

kaykuala said...

You managed to get the most appropriate pics to match the prompts. That's not easy. That's great Kay! The verse is just perfect too! Nicely!

Hank

Gattina said...

Perfect ! I see the picture !

Wolfsrosebud said...

even my 18 year old cat fits into your discriptions

Ella said...

I love yours! I did mine wrong ;D
YOU did a great job~
Photos so match your words!!!
Well done

Phil Slade said...

You're right Kay, two tough acts to follow. Now you made it three.

Helen said...

All I can say is 'been there, done that.' Together in the middle of the bed is good!!

Peggy said...

So well done! I could have pictured it even without the cute photos! Excellent choice here.

Sabio Lantz said...

Cute cat lovers

Grace said...

Love the pictures of the cats in the box.. You picked a terrific metaphor to describe an everyday relationship ~

Thanks for the smiles ~

dianasfaria.com said...

nice job Kay! Your words pair up nicely with the "found" kitties.
& I especially love the Kitty with the teeth.

Kay said...

Wonderful poem for some pretty amazing photos.