Followers

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Poe-et lurks outside my door, nevermore



making a lie
of the bright blue sky
the ice crept nearer and nearer
now in the street
now on the walk
approaching the house
it came stalking, stalking, stalk...
 By Kay L. Davies, March, 2013

Images from publicdomainimages.net — Alejandro Lizardo (top), and Robert Kraft

Mama Zen has challenged us to become Poe-ets today, to look outside and write about what we see there, but to make our poem frightening in the style of Edgar Allan Poe.
With apologies to the ghost of Poe, which phantom, I'm sure, walks in the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, I drifted into the narrative style of Alfred Noyes in my last line.
However, I did look out the window at the street in front of our house, and patches of ice still lurk there, despite the blue of the sky.

18 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Trust me, nothing scarier than ice in our age group :-)!!

Kay L. Davies said...

You are SO right, Sherry. I'm terrified of falling.
Luv, K

Kerry O'Connor said...

The images of ice-encased foliage are just amazing to me - I've never seen that myself. I like the repetitive touches in the poem - the ice seems a force to be reckoned with.

Maude Lynn said...

Now, this REALLY scares me! No more ice, please! This is really clever, Kay.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You scared me!

LLM Calling said...

it certainlyfeels that waysometimes

Ella said...

I love your poem and the fear you have instilled. ;D

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

ice covred wig. My is opposite, my plant was scorched and burn.

Fireblossom said...

!shiver!

You're scaring me, mom!

Helen said...

Oh boy!!! Falling on slippery little patches of ice? The worst! I know.

Margaret said...

They do look like ever-invading little monsters! Love it.

Kay said...

Oh my! What an imagination you have, Kay! The Canadian ice and cold must be creeping up to you.

Unknown said...

Slippery ice, fearful sight.. Be careful

Jinksy said...

Those icy limbs in the photos are enough to give anybody the shivers... nice creepy cut off ending! :)

Hannah said...

Scary indeed, Kay!!! I love the images! Great poem!

Grandmother Mary said...

Ice of the worst kind wreaking its havoc.

Gattina said...

Fortunately no broken leg yet !

hedgewitch said...

I can definitely relate to this, Kay. (You DO know the Norse hell was all ice, not flames, right?) And I love Alfred Noyes, however hokey he may seem to modern eyes--he was the first poet I ever read. Love the photos as well.