Followers

Sunday, March 10, 2013

For Real Toads: food can be challenging


Posted for Grace's food challenge at the
Thanks, Grace!


From fruit to nuts
and everything
halfway in between,
European markets
offer good things
to be seen—
European shoppers
buy fresh every day
with small refrigerators,
that’s the only way.

Chocolate is tempting
but so, they say,
are fish—
whose faces
are so ugly
I’d not want them
on my dish.


Spices and rices,
ham and lamb
and all kinds
of sausage,
sliced and wrapped
before your eyes
like a birthday package.

Olives and capers
seasoning things,
seafoods familiar
and scary,
not to be tried too hastily
by visitors unwary.

Stop for a snack
if you have time
to eat it, every bite,
then shop some more,
refreshed for hours,
and gladdened by
the sight of flowers.




Photos by Richard Schear, February, 2013
Some market photos from one of our long-time favorite ports-of-call, Barcelona, Spain, as part of the final cruise of the Carnival Destiny, from Miami, Florida, to Venice, Italy, with stops at Malaga and Barcelona, Spain, as well as Livorno (for Florence and Pisa) and Civitavecchia (for Rome).
The ship is being refitted and renamed, thus the maiden voyage of the Carnival Sunshine will be in November, from Barcelona to New Orleans.
I met a lovely yellow Labrador Retriever at the market, and I know our dog Lindy would have loved to be there, too, but as she's unused to such bounty, she would have gone into sensory overload.



22 comments:

Penelope Notes said...

Interesting to know that this was the final cruise from Miami to Venice. That made this trip even more momentous than it already was. Your prose met the food challenge in a very appetizing way. Also, really cute picture of you with the lab. :)

Scarlet said...

I love to go food shopping and chocolate testing with you in those European markets ~ Look at all the bounty, it would be a sensory overload for anyone ~

Love the photos of your trip, flowers and that yellow Lab ~

Wishing you spring-like weekend ~

Grace

Marian said...

aww, love this, Kay! love it.

Margaret said...

The fruit... and spices take my breath away! Such color. Thanks for sharing these market shots. Wow.

Mary said...

Ha, I could definitely eat myself around and across Europe with no trouble at all. Smiles.

Unknown said...

What a great way to eat - fresh every day! My dogs would be on sensory overload too!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

My sister and I are the same - when we are away from home, we seek out other peoples' dogs to fuss over.....and the only "shopping" we did in Vancouver was in a pet shop! hee hee. The markets look amazing - a visual and actual feast!

Jenn Jilks said...

Happy to share your travels, especially the food photos, and read your poetry! You are a delight to visit with!
Cheers from Cottage Country!

kaykuala said...

How nice and how interesting, Kay! It would be such fun going on the cruise. What with the food galore! Thanks for sharing Ma'am!

Hank

Ella said...

Amazing! I love all that you shared~
Glorious words with beautiful photos :D Have fun!!!

Jennifer Wagner said...

A fun and lovely romp! Thanks for this! :-)

Susie Clevenger said...

Love your food tour and the pictures are fantastic. What a sweet dog. I know I would have had to stop and talk to it too.

Kay said...

Love that photo of you, Kay! We loved Barcelona too! I remember the wonderful food there. Yummm... I brings back such lovely memories.

Mixi said...

This is my trip to the market done for the week! Such a fun read, spiced up with your thoughts and observations and likes and dislikes. It was like taking a walk with you :)

Thank you for sharing your journey with us :)

Daryl said...

a fun medley of marketing

Alice said...

Now my mouth is watering. I loved the way you presented the poem beside the photographs.

Unknown said...

Kay! Your words carried me right back to the markets in Bruges, Paris and along the coast of Spain. Wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

I do love fresh food markets!

Tammy said...

I know how Lindy feels. Your beautiful poem and pictures almost gave me sensory overload, too, but in a very good way!

Hannah said...

Oh, that sounds like SO much fun!!! Thank you for sharing this view of food!! ;)

Unknown said...

This post made me hungry. I love stopping by farmer's markets like this. And that dog is adorable!

Check out my own awesome travel blog sometime soon :P

Janine Bollée said...

Kay, this is fabulous. Those Italians live so well. Compared to us over here. I have never seen anything like it.
Don't know who Richard Schear is, but he takes a mean picture! Gorgeous.