Followers

Friday, March 15, 2013

The last of the mixed bags

Baga Designs
Mary's Mixed Bag has been a popular feature at the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, but Mary has had to withdraw. We will miss her, but we do know that life sometimes gets in the way.

Just for today, Kerry took over the prompt and presented us with an intriguing Mixed Bag idea...
imagine a bag containing something harmful and something healing, and write a poem about how we choose between them.
oddstuff
magazine


The Haunted Addict

I have in my hand a mixed bag,
some harmful things,
some healing things,
which will I choose today?

I’m afraid I know the answer,
it will, as always, be
the items in my mixed bag
which are the worst for me.

I was born without the will
to avoid temptation
although I know some things will harm
I still want the sensation
of candy melting in my mouth
of bread with butter loaded,
on darkest chocolate I have grazed
until my brain exploded.

Just a little, I would say,
a bit to get me through,
and I won’t do it any more,
but then, of course, I do.

Think you I exaggerate?
I really don’t, believe me,
my list of harmful things imbibed
will always haunt and grieve me.



10 comments:

Mary said...

Kay, your honesty is certainly refreshing. There are certain things I will not have in my house because I know I couldn't be trusted to eat just a small helping. (Let's say M & M's or jelly beans...LOL.) But, out of sight, out of mind! And also, thank you so much for your kind words, Kay. They mean a lot to me.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Oh dear, how can something that tastes so good be bad? I know where you are coming from. I was going to start my diet yesterday, now I'll have to put it off for tomorrow. sigh..

Audrey Howitt aka Divalounger said...

I know this terrain well--and how aptly you describe it--it is all about the choices we make--

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I hear you, you are singing my song. I just discovered a hitherto ignored bakery that has JELLY DOUGHNUTS. Oh my freaking god! Love the whimsy in this, Kaye.

Anonymous said...

Kay, this was truly honest. Not easy to deal with any addiction, and it's the perfect thing to inhabit a purse or bag of any kind. Me, I roll around in the bottom until I find a grape Tootsie Pop!

If your only addiction has been chocolate, I'd say you've had a good life. My section, "Amy: The Lost Years" documents a down-the-rabbit-hole-with-gusto that is truly embarrassing, but I tell it as a cautionary tale... and for old hippies! Peace, Amy
http://sharplittlepencil.com/2013/03/15/mama-needs-a-brand-new-bag-a-barlette/

Susan said...

oh, me too!

Mixi said...

Addiction to chocolate is not really addiction is it? (I ask this for my own sake. I really think chocolate is a food group, and an essential one at that!)

An honest piece on guilty pleasures that we give in to without resistance. As long as it is something like chocolate or vegetables or something, instead of something more harmful!

LLM Calling said...

I am right with you.in this

Sini Rachel said...

I am happy that it was just chocolate and nothing more darker. Too many dark poems for this prompt. I found this one almost a happy poem.

Susie Clevenger said...

Oh do I identify. I could eat myself into a coma I think. LOL