Followers

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Book Blurb Friday: Away







Each week, Lisa Ricard Claro, of Writing in the Buff, posts a photo prompt (this one, above, by Kathy Matthews) and invites writer-bloggers to imagine a book with this as the cover. Then, in 150 words or less, we are to write a blurb for the book jacket, one which will convince shoppers to become buyers.


Following is my submission, in 150 words, to

Book Blurb Friday

To see how others responded to the prompt, please click HERE!


"Away"

The moonless night had been long, and filled with too many people. The clouds had been dark, and it seemed the sun would never rise again. When it finally came up, Katerina saw too many faces in the clouds.
Would she never get away from this place, with too many trees, too many fences, and with all these people?
She had come to the retreat to “get away from it all.” However, “it all” seemed to have come with her. There was no peace here, no quiet, no calm, only a babel of human tongues and the shrill of human ideas, bouncing off the clouds and back to earth.
Following his study of the 20th century’s mania for running away, Curt Markham looks at the actions, the causes, the results, the pathology of escapism. See how Katerina manages to get away from getting away, and learns to live with herself.

11 comments:

Rinkly Rimes said...

'The Pathology of Escapism'! A very deep tome. Too erudite for me, I feel. But Katarina might coax me in.

Tammy said...

How to escape escapism...now this is a truly unique take! I could see myself escaping into this book!

Lynn said...

Wow, that's an interesting take, would want to read more!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

I saw the faces too! I think that this would be very interesting and I would love to read your book. A cluttered mind is sometimes difficult to settle down.

S K Ditta said...

Hello Kay, this book sounds like an intellectually and emotionally engaging read. I like, how there is a blend of the abstract with the literal character, while the reader has a chance to observe.

EG CameraGirl said...

Sounds a bit too scary for me to read just before going to sleep. :)

FilipBlog said...

Very special picture of dawn.

Greetings,
Filip

Virginia said...

As a photographer, and NOT a writer of much, I was taken with the marvelous photograph. Your creative take on it makes me wish once again that I had the gift of words.
V

Kim Lehnhoff said...

My shower is the one place where I can get away by myself without having to step outside my door.

Aren't we all escaping something each day?

Well done.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Interesting! Reminds me of the old saying, no matter where you go you have to take yourself along. Very unexpected take on this week's picture, and one I'd like to read about.

Grandma's Goulash said...

Adding the personal touch makes all the difference here. I probably wouldn't buy a book on the pathology of escapism, but Katrina's story adds a lot of interest and makes me want to read more. Very creative approach, Kay.