Followers

Sunday, May 20, 2012

For Real Toads: tetractys

Kerry's poetry challenge for the writers' group Imaginary Garden with Real Toads today is for us to write a Tetractys, which has a syllable count of 20, arranged 1, 2, 3, 4 (adding up to 10) and 10.
Tetractys, a poetic form invented by Ray Stebbing, consists of at least 5 lines of 1, 2, 3, 4, 10 syllables (total of 20). Tetractys can be written with more than one verse, but must follow suit with an inverted syllable count. Double Tetractys: 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 10, 4, 3, 2, 1. Triple Tetractys: 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 10, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 10 and so on.

  
My submission is a Double Tetractys. I had just finished writing it when my young brother phoned to inform me of the death of one of his longtime friends.
My brother is 21 years younger than I am. Although I am, of course, very sad when one of my friends dies, it was a real shock to hear one of my brother's school friends died. To me, they will always be teenagers. The pain in my brother's voice makes my heart ache for him and all of his old gang.
Rest in peace, Zad. You were one of the good guys, and will be remembered.
*


“hi”
a hug
and a kiss
from a loved one
gladden my heart on a soul-dreary day.
when my mind’s compass cannot find the way,
friends make me feel
there is hope
yet, for
me.

14 comments:

Fireblossom said...

Friends are invaluable, aren't they? I'm glad you're MY friend! :-)

Hannah said...

Oh, this is how my heart felt all day today...only nothing seems to be shaking this uneasy funk...always a new day tomorrow. Really great poem I love the mind compass line a lot!!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh sad news, Kay. Especially so when someone dies so young. Your brother must be stunned. You did a great job with the tetractys.

Christine said...

having a childhood friend, keeps my memories alive, they are a compass for sure :)

Scarlet said...

Simple joys make us complete and happy.

Sad to hear the passing of your brother's friend ~

Happy Monday ~

Mystic_Mom said...

Friends are such a blessing. What a wonderful poem about such friends.

Sorry to hear of the passing of your brother's friend. Praying for him and the family.

Ella said...

How sad! Your message was endearing~
You did a great job with this form~
I love your words!

Kerry O'Connor said...

So hard to say farewell to a close friend!

Helen said...

Lovely reminder of that's what friends are for .........

Daryl said...

love it .. its so clever and it expresses how I feel ..

Mystic_Mom said...

Friends are true treasures. Wonderful poem in tribute to friendship.

Sorry to hear of your brother's friend passing.

Jim said...

A kiss or a word from a loved one will do wonderful for our day.

I like your Double Tetractys. It looks like fun, I might write one soon.

Missed you on Succintly Yours today. I think we all do. We had a cute little kitten, tabby cat, riding a ball for prompt.
..

jabblog said...

'a soul-dreary day' - what a wonderful phrase.

I'm sorry to hear of your brother's friend - life seems very cruel at times.

Anonymous said...

me too - it's good to have someone to turn too... a lovely and heart-warming poem