Followers

Sunday, January 2, 2011

What's this? A mysterious mellow yellow for Monday!

     "What's that?" Dick asked me when we saw this very mellow yellow thing by the ocean in Hawaii.
     "Well," I replied, "let's get closer and I'll see." The object was about three feet in circumference, as I recall, although I had nothing with which to measure it at the time, so it may have been larger or even smaller than three feet.
     "Okay, my best guess is it's part of an old buoy, probably the weight for the bottom that keeps the buoy upright."
     "The old buoys club?" said Dick.
     Sigh.
     So, I just looked it up on Google, and there were so many different kinds of buoys, all the way up to the kind for anchoring giant cargo ships, that I gave up. My instinct still tells me it's something of the sort, with the yellow being the color it was painted, and the reddish-brown parts are rust, where the paint wore away, but I can't be sure. I did have some experience with nautical things in my youth, but the experience, and my youth, were both a long time ago, and I never did learn much about buoys.


                                                                                        Photos by Kay Davies



Posted for Mellow Yellow Monday, hosted each week by Drowsey Monkey.

For other yellows from other parts of the world, please click


17 comments:

Becca said...

Maybe it's something from outer space ;)

Rajesh said...

Great shots.
Wish you Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Gattina said...

To me it looks like the floating balls which are along beaches to tell the swimmers how far they can go, they usually are attached together with a chaine.

SquirrelQueen said...

That's a really cool old buoy, nice mellow yellow find. I love your ocean shots, I can almost hear the waves crashing on the rocks.

Unknown said...

what a lovely yellow anchor:)

Anonymous said...

what an unfamiliar anchor.
have a happy new year.

jabblog said...

I think you're right, Kay - but whatever it is it makes a fine subject for Mellow Yellow Monday.

Mara said...

Don't ask me, I don't know anything about buoys. Even though I once did see a program about policemen in the water (ie buoys) on a German channel. They didn't show any yellow ones though.

Leslie said...

Ha! Your husband's jokes sound just like my husband's jokes...

Anvilcloud said...

Oh buoy, oh buoy.

Margaret Duarte said...

Sounds good to me. Perfect choice for the mellow-yellow theme. A fun way to start a Mondya moring.

Kim, USA said...

Looks like somebody forget there bouy. Like the color though. Happy New Year!
Mellow Yellow Monday

Unknown said...

Great find, it really pops up! Love the rust. Happy 2011.

Cezar and Léia said...

Wow I love the last picture!I think this "yellow"object gave fabulous ideas and inspiration for your pictures!
I wish you a beautiful 2011!
Thanks so much for your friendship!
hugs
Léia

RNSANE said...

I think the outer space comment is funny. What alien would love to settle in Hawaii? With all the shipping traffic in and around there, a buoy seems reasonable.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It's pretty interesting even if you don't know exactly what it is! All the buoys and gulls in this household like your pictures ;>)

Kay said...

Just looking at the photo and not reading the text at first, I thought it was an old basketball. That's weird.