Followers

Friday, November 1, 2013

Margaret introduces us to fabric art poetry

Maria Wulf of Full Moon Fiber Art creates visual poetry using video clips of her fiber art and her life at "Bedlam Farm" in New York, where she lives with her husband, the writer John Katz.

Today, Margaret at Imaginary Garden with Real Toads introduced members and followers  to several of Maria's Visual Poems with the challenge: watch the video clips, hear them well, live in the moment, write what comes to you.

I couldn't quite live in the moment as Margaret suggested. The visual poem that called to me began with the scene below, because of a dear friend from school days: a talented quilter, seamstress, and photographer, who lost her sight last year to a disease called temporal arteritis. She and her husband also live on a farm, where she is still able to garden, and I can't help thinking how she would have enjoyed Maria's fiber art and her visual poems.

"Pieces of Myself, In the Wind"
by Maria Wulf
Full Moon Fiber Arts
a quilt should be hung
in the outdoor air
in winter or spring
when it's freshest,
the quilt will come in
with the air in its skin
and breathe the outdoors
to your dreaming
Kay Davies, November 1, 2013




14 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh, Kay. This is exactly what I meant. Perhaps I will go change "in the moment" as I really meant listen and let your mind wander.

Succinct, yet brings back so many memories for me. (my mom and grandmother both hung everything on the line (my mom still does).

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh, so beautiful, Kay, the quilt, the hangig it out of doors to freshen, and, especially, that it will "breathe the outdoors to your dreaming". I so wish I still had one of my grandma's quilts........I am sad your friend has lost her site, a huge loss......but am glad she still gardens. Good for her.

kaykuala said...

How true Kay! The whiff of goodness that envelops when using it after airing is such a joy! Wonderful observation Ma'am!

Hank

Vagabonde said...

Beautiful expression and words. I read it and can feel the cool quilt. Lovely!

Hannah said...

Yes! "the quilt will come in
with the air in its skin
and breathe the outdoors
to your dreaming" Perfectly said, Kay! I can nearly feel that breath...the cool quilted skin!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
...sigh.... &*> YAM xx

humbird said...

Nice dedication to the friend, Kay.

Kerry O'Connor said...

the quilt will come in
with the air in its skin

I love this, Kay, for its meter and jolly rhythm, as well as for the thoughts contained.

Leslie said...

i love the last two lines:

"and breathe the outdoors
to your dreaming"

i'm glad your friend can still work in her garden. my father-in-law is losing his sight due to macular degeneration. he is very brave about it. sounds like your friend is, too.

Sumana Roy said...

Fantastic closing lines...Quilts do trigger fond memories....so nicely said....

Susie Clevenger said...

I love to breathe in the outdoors from clothes hung on the line...beautiful Kay

Susie Clevenger said...

I love to bring in fresh air from clothes hung on a clothesline...wonderful write Kay!!

Ella said...

Beautiful Kay! I need to write mine again~ YOU nailed it :D

Marian said...

i want aired-quilt dreams.