Followers

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Weekend Writers' Retreat, my poem

I've never tried this meme before, but Grandma's Goulash and the
Weekend Writers' Retreat  seem to have been going for 34 weeks without me.
Surprise, surprise.
They will probably have to continue without me, too, because this is the only original poem I carry around in my head. I wrote it so long ago I don't remember when, and it has been submitted to more damn poetry contests than I ever knew existed until I sent in my poem.
It never won anything.
Still, I like it. Maybe someone out there in the blogosphere might like it, too, even just a little bit.

Resubmitted Sept. 7 to
"Imaginary Garden with Real Toads"
in answer to the question: Can a poem be like an Impressionist painting?

It is called  Rock Poem...

poets speak
of birds
and trees
and flowers
when Spring comes.
not I —
I love
a rock,

new warmed
by mountain sun,
that in
the night
becomes a
lonely, lost
and windswept cliff,
and then,
at dawn,
the place
where young
Tomorrow is born.
                      — Kay L. Davies © 2011

14 comments:

Powell River Books said...

If you only have this one, that's OK, it's a beautiful poem to hold dear in your mind. - Margy

Joyful said...

I like it, I like it! I really do ;-)

Bali Hotels said...

nice post :)

Jenn Jilks said...

Very good. I have the bugs and butterflies to match!

Jo said...

That is a really lovely poem, Kay. I hope someone out there "spots" your talent. I've just seen Phillip's blog and love the books you sent him. Your dad was a handsome man and looks so "soft-hearted" Have a great week and hug Lindy for me. Blessings, Jo

Ms. Becky said...

I really like this poem. I recently submitted one to Wisconsin Poet's Calendar but was rejected. it pissed me off too, and I'm not sure why. I guess I felt like it was an exclusive club that I was denied access to. I love your dog Lindy too. she is beautiful. happy day to you Kay. keep on submitting that poem. :)

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Great poem! I love the whole premise of it, that you have chosen something not the norm, not the obvious thing. Your imagery is lovely, as well, and anyone who has ever been blown away by the beauty of sunrise over a rocky canyon can relate. Keep submitting. You'll find a home for it.

Honey at 2805 said...

Such a pretty poem, Kay. You really have a lot of skill as a writer!

jabblog said...

Kay, I LOVE this. Please write more:-)

Marian said...

yes, i like this, too. it reminds me of this book my children really love to read, about choosing your rock, like a totem or a guidestar.

Liz Rice-Sosne said...

This is a wonderful paining!

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is beautiful poetry!

Mystic_Mom said...

I love this poem. Rocks like that are wonderful!

jinksy said...

I think it's a Chagall...