Followers

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

It's lion time again at Thursday Theme Song





...I'm gonna leave you!
It's lion time again...




You can see that fish-a-day hook on my line,



...you hold me, darlin'
I can tell by the way...



It won't be long before it's lion time.

Oh, it's lion time again,
You're gonna leave me,
I can see that faraway look in your eyes...
Help! I forgot my lyrics, there's a pigeon on my head!

During our visit to Amsterdam this spring, my husband took a lot of pictures of these lions. When I saw the results of his lion-statue photo spree, this song just popped into my head, with my own slightly "improved" lyrics!
I was raised with jazz and swing music, and I loved rock’n’roll just because I was a youngster in the 50s, growing up in the 60s. I also lived in a town with one radio station, which played a lot of country music. I remember Buck Owens singing this song in the 50s, and Ray Charles singing it in the 60s — this Youtube video shows them singing together.
So many people have recorded “Crying Time” it’s a music legend all by itself, and anyone who didn’t  record it has at least been seen on TV singing it with either Buck or Ray. Would you believe Barbra Streisand and Ray, for instance?
The video is from the TV show Hee Haw, with some hee-hawing going on after the song. Now who (besides me, and maybe Anni) is old enough to remember this show?

Posted for Thursday Theme Song, Hootin' Anni's musical meme.
(I have entirely too much fun with this thing, you know, Anni!)

To see what songs popped into other bloggers' heads, please click

18 comments:

Mr Puddy said...

Dear Kay,
See ! We cats always be a king of the castel..heh..heh... : )
I'm a king of my street too
xoxo

PS : Fabulous photos as always

Dimple said...

This is great, Kay! And also funny; you did a wonderful job!

Thanks for coming by, now I will try to find the post you mentioned...

Marie said...

Hee, hee... you did well with the new lyrics. And I thought I was the only person to go around doing things like that :-)

I love the lion in heraldry and you can see why it was chosen as the symbol for courage, strength, ferocity, and valour. Such power and majesty! I'm always drawn to them as well, so I can understand your husband's fascination with them.

cieldequimper said...

Lions have always been symbols in heraldry for so many European families and states. Great captures all of them!

Gattina said...

It's a pity that you missed the famous Lion of Waterloo, who turns his bottom towards France !

Beautiful pictures !

Kay said...

Oh this is too perfect... and too funny, Kay! I was trying to imagine you singing this song while looking at all those neat sculptures.

SquirrelQueen said...

Oh wow, Kay this is so fun. What a great take on the song. I really like all of the lions, especially the last one with the brave pigeon on the lion's head.

I know what you mean, Anni's meme is so much fun.

Happy Thursday!

Rosie@travel-i-tales said...

That faraway look...woah. Your post is great fun. The way you hold me-the lions really do hold tight, don't they - this is hilarious.
Rosie

jabblog said...

Wonderful collection of lions, but those cherubs look a bit gaga! Thank you for the video link - I enjoyed that:-)

Hootin Anni said...

Oh dear, I think you've outdone yourself this week, if that's possible! Super, fantastic, great job. And excellent photos to go with the lyrics.

Wonderful.

Here's Mine...Sting's Fields of Gold Have a wonderful day.

Cezar and Léia said...

Wow Kay, congratulations, this set of pictures is awesome, lots of different "lions", poses and so on!
And so perfect blue sky!
Very well done my friend!
Léia

Mara said...

Those cherubs certainly have disturbing eyes! Very scary...

Daryl said...

now that really made me laugh. I've been reading your comments over at CBW and finally I said I have to go read her blog and I did now I am a follower .. so dont lead me astray
;-)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You're entirely too punny today Kay ;>)

Martha Z said...

He did capture a bunch of Lions, good thing they were of the sculptural type or else he might have been the worse for ware.

Anonymous said...

Love what you did with the theme - I'd have gotten stuck on Wimoweh and not even have the great photos to go with it.

And yes, I remember Hee Haw - but don't tell anyone. :) I lived in the same sort of small town as you describe. We had two radio stations. One played country and the other one went off the air at sundown. Don't see (hear?) that much any more.

Lynette Killam said...

I remember the show very well, Kay, as I lived in a small Ontario town with limited radio and TV access! Dick's pictures are super, and your revised lyrics have quickly replaced the originals in my head. I will never hear "Crying Time" in quite the same way again...LOL!...:)

That was great fun...thank you, and have a wonderful weekend

Lynette
Imagination Lane

Francisca said...

You are just waaaay tooooo funny! Great video of Buck and Ray! And your rendition perfect for your post.