Followers

Friday, August 10, 2012

Real Toads: Laurie's word is miscreant

© Richard Schear, 2007
A Word with Laurie is a Friday feature for the online writers' group Imaginary Garden with Real Toads. Laurie presents us with a word for our inspiration, and today she has chosen the word miscreant, which I always associated with rowdies, punks and hoodlums.
 
Laurie, however, listed some meanings which surprised me. "People holding incorrect religious beliefs"? Incorrect by whose definition, you ask? Wiktionary's?
 
No, I think it means incorrect by someone else's definition, a someone who actually believes everyone else wrong. That's what I've chosen as my inspiration for today, along with one of Laurie's photos which she has invited us to use. (Along the way, I have taken it upon myself to invent a verb.)
 
My apologies to anyone whose religious beliefs differ from mine, including  the pope and his bishops whose names I may be thought to be taking in vain because I am not and never have been a Roman Catholic.
 
 

MISCREANTING
a poem by Kay L. Davies, 2012
  
there’s billions of those miscreants
who don’t believe as I do
how dare they have the nerve to think
they might be right
© Laurie Kolp, 2012
and I might be mistaken?
   
I was told by the bishop
and he by the pope
the heathen must be converted
so I’ve decided to lead the charge
in a brand new religious crusade
    
I’ve armed myself with the sword of right
in order that I some day might
a miscreant, miscreanting, smite!

13 comments:

Daydreamer said...

Oh I wouldn't dream of tackling that last line if I'd had a drink...lol
Save me from the self righteous miscreants....haha
Enjoyed this very much Kay.

Susan said...

Wow, Kay. I thought the crusades were over! This line is pretty neat: "a miscreant, miscreanting, smite!" You've pretty much pinned the absolutism and violence that goes along with the stance of "I'm right." These are the people I have trouble forgiving. I'm working on it.

Laurie Kolp said...

Love miscreanting... thanks so much for taking part in the challenge, Kay.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

That seems to be the way of it....sigh. Well done, Kay.

Fireblossom said...

"Miscreanting"?! Oh Kay, you're a gem.

And, you've got to watch out for us cafflicks!

Kerry O'Connor said...

I like the rhythm of these words - quite a battle hymn! The last couple of lines had me chuckling at your clever use of the words.

Grace said...

I learn something new - miscreanting, smite ~ Good one Kay ~

Kay L. Davies said...

@ Grace — Of course I know "miscreanting" isn't a real word. I made it up for my poem, just for fun.
Smite is a real word, though.
K

Anonymous said...

"how dare they have the nerve to think they might be right"

Too funny. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the way you've used this word creatively to create a word.

Mystic_Mom said...

You make me smile, so clever! Love it! Just totally love it!

Margaret said...

in order that I some day might
a miscreant, miscreanting, smite!

I can just see creating this for the first time. Ha! Fun, fun, fun.

Susie Clevenger said...

I love this..A crusader fighting to make sure everyone believes as I do...LOL