Followers

Monday, June 25, 2018

Trek across Alberta to B.C. coast

Not a trek, not really, at least not on foot, but this month we did drive from southeastern Alberta to southwestern British Columbia with visits to Revelstoke, Kamloops, Ashcroft, Hope, Aldergrove, Coquitlam, Langley, South Surrey, White Rock, Crescent Beach, Kelowna, and Golden, BC.
It was quite a lot of driving for my husband, who didn't complain about not knowing know my friends and relatives very well, except my brother Clint, our other punster. Thanks, Dick!

Bonnie smells golden flowers in Golden, BC
"Do you think there might be rabbits here?""



"Are these the same flowers, only different?"

Of course we took our bouncy forty-pound Bonnie-Belinda dog, so Dick always had something to do.
This dog would keep anyone busy, family or not: go-for-a-walk, go-for-a-run, even stop to smell the flowers in case a tree or bush was hiding a rabbit or, something new to her, a chipmunk!

"Flowers under a blue sky. It doesn't get much better than this!"

After visiting friends in Kelowna, BC, where I grew up, we headed back to Alberta via Golden, BC, a place neither of us had visited.
We were impressed.
Two rivers run through this small town of fewer than 5,000 people, so Golden is a tourist mecca for water sports.
The larger and more widely known of the two rivers is, of course, the Columbia, which flows from its source in Columbia Lake at an elevation of 2,700 feet (830 meters) near the crest of the Rocky Mountains southwest of Banff National Park, all the way across the border to the Pacific Ocean at Astoria, Washington.
The town of Golden's smaller, faster river is the Kicking Horse, beloved of sports enthusiasts addicted to white-water rafting.

For  Fiona's  Our World Tuesday

22 comments:

Joyful said...

It sounds like you and Dick and your pooch had a lovely visit with family and friends. Happy rest of your week Kay!

Colleen Looseleaf said...

Nice scenery and flowers!

Alana said...

I've only been to British Columbia once (in 1986) and that was mainly a visit to Vancouver. I've always wanted to return. It's on my "one day" list.

Lady Fi said...

What lovely shots. Glad to hear you guys had a great time!

The Chair Speaks said...

It is so nice to be able to travel and Bonnie-Belinda enjoyed this 'trek' as much as you do. Purrs and hugs!

Phil Slade said...

Seems like you're having some lengthy trips there Kay. Over 50 miles of driving and I'm whacked. Bonnie Belinda is looking very bonny. I can just hear you groaning at those awful puns as the guys get going!

Stay well with our best wishes from Stalmine.

s.c said...

Lovely dog shots in that green.

Jenn Jilks said...

Your FB link worked. A lovely spot, I'm sure!
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON!

Lea said...

I am sure you saw a lot of beautiful country! Cute pup!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love seeing your sweet dog. Your trip sounds awesome, it is great visiting your old friends and return to your home town. Enjoy your day and new week ahead!

Jeanna said...

I was just thinking, were the rivers large enough for many boaters and then read, "Columbia." Sounds like a dream vacation for me cuz even though my walking abilities aren't what it used to be I can still drive a good 8-10 hours and still find your kind of trip exciting.
So Bonnie is a bonny good traveler? What a sweetheart and yes she's all you'd need to have a good time and great company.

Angie said...

Oh, this is my kind of trip - through the mountains by car! My hubby is usually also our driver, mainly because he does not enjoy being a passenger. We were just in Golden last August for one night and found the town and the people to be very welcoming. We are about to do a fair bit of driving ourselves since my in-laws arrive today from the UK, and will be visiting for a few weeks. You might notice I am not commenting as much!

carol l mckenna said...

Sounds like a wonderful journey and great hubby and sweet doggie!

Happy Day to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Al said...

It sounds like an intriguing drive. I suspect that 2,700 feet is probably 830 meters, instead of 83 meters :)

magiceye said...

Fun for all including Bonnie!

Life Images by JIll said...

My husband always drives when we go on a long trip. We have a lot of big road trains over here to contend with especially when we travel north. Thanks for taking us along on your trip. Happy travels! and thank you for visiting my blog this week.

Ela said...

It's nice to hear that you had a beautiful time with family, friends and a cute dog !!
Lovely photos !!
Greetings

LA Paylor said...

Milo hears, "lets go hunt bunnies!" when I say "lets go for a walk!"
He is not amused when I stop him from grabbing the bite sized baby versions lately.

I went by train from Edmonton to Victoria once... so pretty
LeeAnna

Powell River Books said...

It was nice that you could take Bonnie with you on the trip to my land. - Margy

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a nice trip! Good to see family and give Bonnie B some new places to explore! And incredible beauty and a nice change of pace for you two, although for ssuch easoned travelers I guess it was kind of a small change! We used to drive the Columbia Gorge between Washington and Oregon all the time where the river flows on and on.

Klara S said...

Bonnie smelling flowers is cute <3

dee Nambiar said...

Golden looks and sounds very pretty.

Ah! the Columbia River. :) We've seen parts of it in WA and OR.