Followers

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Math and wrath: Auntie Kay on warpath

Okay, before I forget, yesterday's walk was 2062 steps...and today's was 2132, which is nine tenths of a mile,  and that included a stop for manual labor.

I am on the warpath, and it's unlikely the perpetrator will be reading this, but I must get it off my chest, just as I tried to get it off the sidewalk.
Broken glass, I don't know how many small shards of it, on the sidewalk by the swimming pool, where children walk...some, perhaps, barefoot because they've just been swimming.
I didn't have a container with me, but I did have a facial tissue, because one never knows, but the nose knows...
So there I was, an old lady with a walker, not to mention a bad back, stooping down to pick up as many shards of glass as one tissue could hold, then carefully carrying the whole thing to one of the dumpsters beside the ice rink, with disposal in mind.
I am a childless aunt/great-aunt/step-grandma, and I take those roles very, very seriously. My instinct, as my eldest niece and my youngest brother can tell you, is save-the-child.
But wait, there's more...yes, more broken glass, on the ground all around the dumpsters.
Saving the town's children from broken glass suddenly looms as an impossible task. The best Auntie/Grandma/Nana Kay can do now is write a letter to the editor of the local rag.
Sigh.

But it was a good walk otherwise, although I started too late, so the shadowy places were smaller and farther between. There was a nice breeze, though, and the walk would have been quite enjoyable except for being on the warpath.
For instance, these photos were fun to take,
because I wanted to compare the leaves and fruit of a neighbour's tree with the leaves and fruit of our own ornamental crabapple tree.
As you can see below, allowing for the difference in seasons, the leaves of our ornamental crabapple are distinctly green, with nary a bronze leaf in sight, but the fruit of each is definitely similar.

Stay tuned while I solve this mystery. I'll be right back, probably tomorrow.



7 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
There are as many varieties of crab apple as there are of eating fruit trees, and certainly several that have bronzed leaves. I sometimes wish owners would label their gardens the way Botanics Gardens would!!!

Sorry to hear about that glass though - yes the children, but I think of pets too, when I see such. Definitely worth that letter to the local. YAM xx

NatureFootstep said...

love your blooming tree :)

magiceye said...

Lovely takes!
Sad to hear about the glass shards.

Mara said...

Love the trees with their blooms and/or apples. And even though you were on the warpath against all that glass, just imagine how much extra movement was involved in you picking it up and throwing it away as opposed as you just going for a short walk.

Good luck with the more training and before you know it, you will be a dab hand at getting that walker in and out of cars, buses, cupboard under the stairs!

Gattina said...

Each day a few steps more ! That's a challenge ! Broken glass is always dangerous, Mr. G. cleans that you can eat from the floor, because he is so anxious that the cats could get hurt !

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Not to mention dog paws getting cut by glass. I feel my ire too when I encounter so much glass on walks. But yay for you, trying to help. The blooming crabapple tree is a gorgeous sight.

Jenn Jilks said...

Daisy and I did walkies in the forest today. It was lovely!