Followers

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

All looking and no leaping

February might bring Leap Year every now and then (not this year) but the idea of an extra day of winter certainly doesn't make me want to leap, nor even jump, for joy.
Here in southeastern Alberta, Canada, it is cold. Sometimes it's colder than cold. I feel guilty letting our short-haired dog go outside, but she often insists it's absolutely necessary, and I believe her.
However, she usually insists I go with her.
Even though I throw a parka over whatever I happen to be wearing, it is usually insufficient.

Can you see our little white dog in the photo above? Or in the one below?


An online dictionary says the word shiver means "shake slightly and uncontrollably as a result of being cold, frightened or excited."
I'm shivering-cold, yes, and afraid that I (or the dog) will turn into a frozen statue...yes, that as well.
But excited about winter? Not even a little bit!
Albertans try to reassure me, "Yes, it's cold, but it's a dry cold."
Right. Like packing my house and yard in dry ice? Thanks, but no thanks.

February at home isn't the worst of it, either.
To welcome the new year, we visited my husband's daughters and our grandsons in Red Deer, Alberta: not all that much north of here, but with even lower temperatures.
You may not believe this, but it's absolutely true: Dick's daughter filled a cup with boiling water, and went out to her back porch where she threw the water out of the cup into the air in front of her. The water froze in mid-air. It did. We all saw it.
Therefore, as an old saying has it: "look before you leap" and next winter we plan to look for a warm alternative to Alberta's icy climes.


Photo, right:
We had to buy Bonnie-Belinda a coat while we were in Red Deer.



First, however, we have a friendly difference of opinion, perhaps one might even call it a mild dispute, which must be settled before we look anywhere...we must decide where to go.



The Big Guy Here is talking about Panama, while I want to go to Costa Rica, which we've already visited and enjoyed, so I now want to return in the hope of seeing more sloths. I love sloths. (nb: sloths can also be found in Panama, but don't tell him)
I just do not love my memories of the country of Panama. Yes, the canal was wonderful, but I was in Panama on a cruise with Old Whatsisname, my first husband, 'way back in 1969, when the country had just been taken over by a military coup, which left me no desire to return.
M1 rifle
Tommy Gun







There were armed soldiers on every street corner in Panama City in 1969. Every street corner.
I've always said "soldiers armed with M1 rifles and Tommy guns" but I could be wrong. I probably am wrong... I wouldn't know an assault weapon from a salt weapon, but those guns definitely looked deadly, and I certainly knew enough to not to try to talk to those soldiers.
However, fast-forward half a century, and the country of Panama has now become the go-to spot for retirees from cold cold climes, and some airlines offer wonderful airfare bargains to coax us down there for a look.
A story in the  International Living magazine recommends bus tours which take visitors to see the various parts of the country where they might consider living, and there are no salespersons involved: just a tour guide with connections. Dick thinks it should be interesting.

But yes, we're just looking, we're not leaping. Our darlin' little dog would definitely not enjoy traveling in a plane's baggage compartment and even though she's small, she's not tiny, and wouldn't fit under the seat in front of me. Driving all the way into another continent might be fun for me but would be exhausting for my driver, plus taking a car into Panama is extremely a whole 'nother can of worms.
Sigh. It's still February here in Alberta until further notice. I'd weep, but my tears would freeze, like the boiling water in that cup.

Sharing with Lady Fi's marvellous meme
because she has really learned how to handle winter!


13 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Now I have the image of the boiled ice... brrrrrrrrrr... YAM xx

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Now I want to try that -- throw hot water into frigid air -- the next time I'm ever in such an environment, which doesn't look anytime soon or for that matter later. Cheers to you. :-)

Lady Fi said...

Ooo - yes! I definitely want to visit Costa Rica! I'll come visit!

mick said...

I lived in BC for a years and that was bad enough! There were plenty of times there I could not get warm. Finally I came home to Australia and ou summer is your winter - You would love it and lots of things to see and experience!!! Plus we LOVE visitors!

LA Paylor said...

i used to live in Edmonton. I get the cold reference. We moved from Maryland to Colorado, and I'd weep but also must weep inside. Cold enough for me here.

I like your writing style, I'm headed to read more... thanks for the realness. LeeAnna at not afraid of color

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

So so cold in Alberta -- it makes my toes and fingers hurt just to read about it. I'm sending a link to this post to my daughter-in-law who was born in Red Deer just for memory's sake. W visited two ports in Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Colombia and Grand Cayman on our recent cruise (did not stop in Panama ... just the wonderful canal crossing). Every stop seemed to be touting themselves as the perfect retirement place for ex-pats. (I'm guessing that it isn't just the cold that's driving a lot of US retirees. Who wouldn't like to get away from our politics . (I suppose guns on every corner would be worse though :<((

Lea said...

If your dog did not have a black spot on her head, I would not have seen her there against the fence!
I saw a comic strip the other day that said the reason February has only 28 days is so that Spring gets here quicker!

lotusleaf said...

Costa Rica seems to be a good idea!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Maryland is too cold for me in the winter, I can imagine living further north. I have been to Costa Rica and Panama, they are both awesome. I must say Costa Rica was my favorite trip, I also enjoyed Belize. There are so many great places to tour and visit. Enjoy your day!

Powell River Books said...

Hard to find a white dog in the snow. You wonder how sloths can do anything with those nails. When I was a principal I had a conference with a mother who had the longest fingernails I've ever seen. I don't know how she opened doors or things, let alone not scratch herself to death at night. The red cabin you saw in the video used to belong to John. It was what we called #1 because it was the first cabin he built and it was his main cabin for many years. He sold it and moved it to another spot he had on the lake. The lady who purchased it is also named Margaret. She owns a coffee shop in town called Magpie's. We love going there for breakfast when we are in town. She lost her husband several years ago and couldn't keep up the cabin. John rebuilt her deck and Wayne helped. We got all the old deck boards as "payment" and have burned them in our woodstove for two years. Cedar makes a really hot fire, but they burn quick. I helped refurbish her cabin by painting the front bottom half of her rusty roof, but she repainted the ca bin last summer bright red. Looks good with the barn style construction. I don't think I could live in snow country like you do. Our winter has been warmer than normal but with lots of rain. Hope there is enough snow in the high country for summer water. - Margy

Gattina said...

Autumn and winter are the worst seasons for me ! I have no energy ! Here it's never that cold the worst was - 12 in Brussels. In the Ardennes it's a bit colder. But still no snow !

Daniela said...

Dear Kay,
thank most sincerely for the lovely comment you left on ~ My little old world ~, I appreciate it so, so much ❤, and since you've such a beautiful blog, I'm going and follow you with much delight!

Wishing you a great Sunday,
I'm sending blessings on your way

XOXO Daniela

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Based on my experience Panama is quite wonderful!