Followers

Sunday, October 2, 2016

I don't know who said this, but...


Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

I wish I knew who said this. I had saved it to my desktop at some point, without attributing it to anyone, and am now furthering the attribution problem by quoting it here. To everyone out there, if you know who wrote this, please let me know.

Meanwhile, I copied it then, and am quoting it now, because I feel it to be particularly apt at this point in the history of the world.

I also just deleted a treatise of my own, raging, in my old-lady way, against injustice and against those who would deny help to refugees from other countries.

I went on and on and on, as I am apt to do, and realized I was on the verge of raving, which I'd much rather not, so I deleted it.

I don't pretend to have any answers. I surely have none. But I also have no criticisms to make of people who are living in poverty through no fault of their own. Yes, that's the word used in that quotation: criticisms. How dare anyone with a good life criticize someone who is struggling to survive?

There used to be a saying...I don't know if it is still used today..."walk a mile in my shoes"!

Sharing this with Lady Fi's wonderful meme Our World Tuesday.

3 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Wonder if you clipped that from a much larger piece at some time Kay? It is not one of those 'quotes' which are many and plenty all over the net. It is an excellent clip though!

...and this post is the stronger for your own insight at the futility of rage. It depletes us and cannot empower another. If we have not the facility or position to make a physical difference, then at best we can 'put ourselves in their shoes' do our best to support the ones who are on the frontline of things. YAM xx

Penelope Notes said...

Herman Melville said it I think, Kay, a very long time ago. It is one of those quotes that fits any era because humanity, although also full of kindness, has a habit of NOT walking in someone else’s shoes.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

People probably think I'm a brainless Pollyanna because my blog is practically always just my 'happy place'.... but I do have a brain -- and it pretty much thinks like yours does on this issue, but not as articulately. Thank you for saying this.

(and if the US politician you may have included in your deleted rant somehow gets elected, I think I will just die.)