Followers

Friday, May 6, 2016

On the news, we have...new news

Our local TV station here in Medicine Hat/Redcliff interviewed my husband by phone while he was in an evacuation camp in northern Alberta. Then someone from the station phoned and asked for a photo of Dick to go with their interview. I, of course, sent them four, and they chose this one, my favourite. I taped the news broadcast for him, so he can see and hear how wonderful he is. (Smiley face.)

The old boy looked pretty good
on the evening news, I thought.

The fire in Fort McMurray, Alberta, displaced 80,000+ people, but so far I haven't heard of any loss of life. Firefighters from across Canada, have done a stellar job, but a great many homes have been lost, and there is no sign of Fort McMurray residents being allowed to go home to assess the damage.
The question of my husband's car, which he had to abandon at the MacDonald Island Centre recreation complex, pales in comparison to the devastation of those who were forced to abandon their cars, and their homes.
I understand the SPCA did what it could to save pets who were left behind. This subject is very painful for me to think about, of course, and I have no details. The Canadian Red Cross has its hands full with donations of clothing and food for fire refugees, and Syrian immigrants in Alberta, themselves recent refugees, have declared their support for the people of Fort McMurray.
There is a province-wide sense of community which, if it lasts, will unite the people as never before. I think of the Calgary flood of 2013, and the goodwill it fostered between Albertans. The present disaster can, I hope, do the same.

These before and after photos of Fort Mac were posted by www.theweathernetwork.com
weathernetworkphotos
Sharing with Lady Fi and the gang at Our World Tuesday.


10 comments:

Mara said...

So happy Dick made it home in one piece. And as you say: what is one car when there are so many people who will probably have lost everything! Take good care of each other!

PS: did you know, the job I was offered in the end, right before I was due to move to Norway was in Fort McMurray? Isn't the world a strange place...

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
(This is me posting a comment only now and not earlier - so I hope you weren't getting sneaky spam disguised as us!!!)

This news finally hit OUR main news headlines yesterday - the matter of our big elections was rather wiping out the rest of the world... It reminds me of the Ash Wednesday fires in OZ; the news will move on to the next sensation, but the people involved will continue to live with this for a very long time. I understand completely what you mean in terms of the 'community feeling' - it is a thing Canadians and Aussies share very strongly! Not to knock other communities at all - it is just a particular kind.... Blessings to you all. YAM xx

Sherry Blue Sky said...

He does look good, Kiddo.......you've got a good one! I too am heartsick at the animals left behind. I cannot imagine being in that terrible position. Especially the dogs left in abandoned cars by the side of the road. Can you imagine the terror? Am relieved that human rescuers are there trying to do what they can.

Kay L. Davies said...

Wow, Yam, maybe it was spam. Whatever it was, it didn't appear on my blog page. Interesting. I have none of the skills required to investigate who or what (i.e. computer) it was.
K

Kay L. Davies said...

Mara, if I knew you'd been offered a job in Fort Mac, I've long ago forgotten it. I forget everything these days but I now have three doctors and many motley other persons assuring me I'll be fine...some day.
Luv, K

Powell River Books said...

It is so terrible, and so early in the season. We have been pretty dry lately here on the coast. The snow is melted except for the very high country. The lake has hardly risen even with the spring melt. I'm afraid what summer may bring. - Margy

carol l mckenna said...

Great photo of handsome hubby and great post!

Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

Jo said...

OMW Kay, your post about the devastation explains much more than we saw on the news. So glad that Dick is fine - he sure looks good in that interview. I love Lindy who wants to go walkies with her daddy now he's home safe. Bless.

Jenn Jilks said...

Everyone us watching this situation. So scary. Glad hubs is home!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh my gosh. I followed the news about this devastation, but this is the first personal account I've read. Oh so glad your hubby is OK and thankful there was no loss of life at all, but oh how hard for everyone involved.