Followers

Monday, September 8, 2014

An ex-Toad appears for Open Link Monday

This sketch of Warty Bliggens the Toad,
drawn by George Harriman for the book
Archy and Mehitabel by Don Marquis,
was copyrighted in 1927
by the New York Tribune, Inc.














I used to be a Toad
and I was happy
I used to be a Toad
and I was green
with great big yellow warts
on all my toadly parts
the funniest-looking toad
you’ve ever seen.

but then I hibernated
and I waited and I waited
to become a Toad again,
you see.

but waiting did no good
(hibernating, even less)
and I forgot how toadly
I had been.

I forgot my toadly parts
and only could see warts
where once there’d been
a lovely shade of green.

I used to be a poet
of nonsensicable verse
but life somehow got worse
’til I lost my sense of verse,
becoming short and shrill and terse
instead of green.

by Kay Davies, September 7, 2014

Thanks to all my friends in the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads for inviting me to come back to the Garden when possible, with a special thank-you to Kerry, and to those toads who have become my friends on Facebook.

18 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

YAY! The pond is happy because Kay is back with her wonderful and Toad-ally awesome sense of humor! Splish splash, kiddo! Keep coming back!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Dear Kay, we have a lily pad reserved for you. You are greatly missed. I do hope you are feeling better. It is a rare treat to read your fun piece, with the hope that there will be more to read in weeks to come.

brudberg said...

Ah... but the muse is back.. what a great way to be green.. I can see the sheen :-)

Kay L. Davies said...

@ Sherry, Kerry, and Bjorn — it's wonderful to be welcomed back to the Imaginary Garden. No one missed my muse as much as I did, you can be sure.
Luv, K

Helen said...

Kay, when your muse exits stage left .. just remember there are always encores!!!!!

Jim said...

Glad to see you back, Kay. I figured you'd been off traveling, to some exotic land.
(We finally made it to Wales--during what might be our next to last London visit. The kids, Karen, Billy, and KP came home to Texas after almost FIVE long years. BP is staying another year to finish high school. She may be class valedictorian. We plan to attend her graduation.)
Will you go back to S. Yours? It is hurting. But I, like you, were posting Flash 140 there right after Susan retired. Once in a while Hank posts a 140 poem. He's good at doing that.
..

Wolfsrosebud said...

... loved how you gently reminded us of what is important... i have a golden male here that would love to meet your lindy

Anonymous said...

’til I lost my sense of verse... that is a terrible feeling, I know. Glad you are back and your muse seems very happy.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Hopped right back!!! YAM xx

Lolamouse said...

So glad to see you dipping your webbed? feet in the pond again! I love the sketch of Warty Biggens!

Kay L. Davies said...

@ Jim — I think I really should drop in to Succinctly Yours for old times' sake. Hate to think it's hurting.
Thanks!
K

Susan said...

Toad or not, Kay, it's great to read a post from you. I'm a big fan.

Kay L. Davies said...

@ Susan — Thank you, and ditto.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back -- we all have to hibernate, I think, draw back: and getting started again should be like riding a bike -- an instant recollection -- but for me it's more like trying to learn language all over again. But it comes. Congrats on surviving the renovation.

Marian said...

but, it ain't easy being green. xoxox

Liz Rice-Sosne said...

This is so very lovely! Your muse gone? Oh my so that is what has happened to me. Ugh.

Susie Clevenger said...

I love your toady poem!! I was absent from the garden so I missed this one!

Jenn Jilks said...

Yes, I'm a big fan, too. If you need time, you take time.
Good for you. As things change, we must, too.