Followers

Friday, July 7, 2017

Ta da! It works!

My computer works!
Hooray!

Some months ago, I took my computer to the store from which I'd purchased it. A big store. Part of a big chain, with hot and cold running techies.
"It doesn't work properly," I told the young men at the Geek Squad desk.
"We'll fix it," they said.
Fast forward a few days:
Incoming phone call...it's the Geek Squad, hooray!
Not hooray.
My computer was worse after they messed with it, and it continued to get worse until I was at my wits' end.
Heartbreaking for a blogger.
Time passes.
Then our son-in-law phones to say he saw, on my Facebook page, that my computer is close to being toast.
"Maybe I can help," he offered. "I'll be over right away."
"Bring the kids," I requested, "I haven't seen them in forever because they're so busy. They haven't even met our new dog."
So we put our little Bonnie-Belinda on a leash and walked one block to the lawn by the swimming pool. We'd arranged to meet Wes and Kayen and Kiana there, rather than have them come right into Bonnie's house. In her mind, she's a guard dog.
This way she'd think of our grandchildren as friends rather than burglars .
We knew she would be happier about meeting in neutral territory because she doesn't worry about people and dogs who aren't in her house or yard, or walking past her, or, worse...on bicycles!
Sure enough, a little bit of sweet talk, a whole lot of petting, and quite a bit of shake-a-paw did the trick, so Dick and the grandkids and I were able to enter the house calmly.
Bonnie was somewhat concerned when Wes came in a few minutes later, having had to move his vehicle, but he has plenty of dog experience, and after he put my newly restored computer on my desk, he had her playing shake-a-paw all over again.
Now, I think we should buy Wes a great, huge, and very big gift for the work he did. Overnight he brought my computer back to life.
Take that, Geek Squad, take that!
And guess how much it cost...a thousand, a hundred, or fifty dollars? It cost Wes just twenty dollars for a part, and it cost us that same twenty dollars to repay Wes.
Then we had some fun talking about the Virtual Reality place in Medicine Hat. Or, rather, Dick and Wes and the grandkids had fun talking about it.

I don't know that I'm ready for Virtual Reality, unless there's one that features me as I used to be. Not a chance.

O well. C'est la vie, as Canada's other official language says. I'm just happy that my computer got rejuvenated, but I must confess I don't know how to say that in French. That probably makes my blog politically incorrect, but my French went the way of all good things, because I'm old.


7 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Hoorah, hoorah and thrice times hoorah. Long may the new bit stand, long may B-B shake paw and virtual reality...??? really? This world is illusion enough - two illusions do not a Reality make!!! Huggies, YAM xx

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I'm so glad it is all better. Not a fan of virtual reality myself although one of our grandsons owns an occulus Rift Machine and we had fun with it -- but it is so weird!

Mara said...

So, a new dishwasher then eh? A big fancy one with gold buttons?? A perfect way to end the sorrows of the ^&%$#%^ (that's French) ordinateur (that's real French). Congratulations. Sorry, Félicitations!!

eileeninmd said...

Kudos to your son, so glad he could fix our computer. At a low cost too, that is great. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

The Chair Speaks said...

Yay! So nice you're back! Purrs from us!

Bill said...

I guess the geek squad weren't geek enough. :) Glad you got it fixed and not for an outrageous price. Love the dog and thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a wonderful weekend,

Bill from somewhereinirelanddailyphoto,blogspot.ie

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.