Followers

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Bonnie-Belinda is our world Tuesday

On our way home!
It is Our World Tuesday time. Tuesdays and every other day, these days, our world is white and brown.
After the death of our beloved Golden Retriever, Lindy, last month, my husband's friend Sam, a dog-owner who lives across the lane, suggested we get another dog sooner rather than later.
Well, we had adopted Lindy from the wonderful SOS (Save Old Souls) in Medicine Hat, Alberta, so I checked their website. However, they had only one dog awaiting adoption...a large male, while we were hoping for a somewhat smaller female.
So I then looked up the SPCA website, where I saw Bonnie. I could not resist her sweet face and beautiful eyes.
At home—I can see more if
I sit on the arm of the couch!
So we were off to the SPCA, where we were introduced to her—a sweet but very shy little girl whose four puppies had been already been adopted, leaving her at the SPCA for two months. During that time, she had accepted the SPCA, with all the other dogs, cats, rabbits, and other critters, as her home. The staff and volunteers loved Bonnie, but no visitors offered her a forever home.
Until we came along.
She was brought out to meet us, crouching close to the floor, shy and uncertain, clearly more at ease with SPCA staff than with anyone else.
And at that time, we were certainly "anyone else".
We kept our visit brief, but promised we'd be back.
The next day, when we visited, it was suggested that one or both of us take her out for a walk. Off we went, with Dick walking Bonnie on a leash attached to a harness, and with me tagging along to offer suggestions (which Dick calmly ignored, as usual).
We were very grateful Bonnie was wearing a harness because that little girl could really pull, and didn't necessarily want to go where we were taking her but, still, she obviously loved going walking. The Medicine Hat SPCA is in an industrial area, which meant few pedestrians but quite a few large, noisy trucks. However, that little dog paid the trucks no heed.
A walk? You want to
go for a walk? Me, too!
It is believed she's part British Bulldog, and her legs are very short, so my favourite Bonnie-thing was watching her jump over puddles. So cute! (I wish we had a video.)
The next day, our friends Gayle and Larry came to the SPCA to meet her, because they had always cared for Lindy when we travelled overseas.
As we took Bonnie out for a walk, Gayle fell in love with her, just as I had done. Dick and Larry were pretty much willing to do whatever Gayle and I wanted.
And we wanted Bonnie.
The next day I started on the necessary paperwork, and yesterday I went to the Redcliff village office to get her dog-tag.
When she came home with us, Dick suggested we call her Bonnie-Belinda, so we'd have a remembrance of our golden girl Lindy in her name.
Now she is our bonny Bonnie-Belinda who, much to my delight, has decided she is my dog.
Before she came home, I had prepared not one, not two, but three different dog-beds in various parts of the house...and Bonnie ignored all three in favour of my bed. I'm not particularly delighted with her sleeping with me on my rather narrow bed, spreading her rather heavy self across my legs so I can't escape. "Claustrophobia city" as my brother and I would have said when we were young, and I can say it again now.
Therefore (as any dog-lover would understand) I have decided I'll buy a larger bed. There was a time when my husband would have thought me crazy to do that, but after all the wonderful years we had with Lindy, he understands that I would do or buy anything for my bonny Bonnie-Belinda.

16 comments:

Powell River Books said...

Bonny Bonnie-Belinda has a beautiful ring to it. - Margy

Sherry Blue Sky said...

She looks OUTRAGEOUSLY happy in the photo, like she is mentally saying "Jackpot!" as she surveys her new domain. I am not surprised she has attached herself to you as you mention they suspect she had been abused by men in her past. However in no time, being around Richard, she will discover that men can be gentle and kind, and as he will walk her out in the coulee, she will grow more attached to him. Either that or he will get a dog of his own, lol...........I LOVE her grinning photo......makes me chuckle.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
OMD OMD OMD OMD....Bonnie-Belinda, welcome to Blogville!!! Oh you have really fallen on all four paws, 'cuz you are gonna be spoiled rotten and all the bad things which may have happened in the past will become long and distant memories!!! Oh your mama Kay and dada Richard will just dote on your every fur. Welcome, welcome, welcome!!! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Kiss Myriam :) :)

Lady Fi said...

So glad to hear about your new pup! She looks very sweet. How old is she?

As someone who has two big dogs who like sleeping on or near her... I hear you about getting a big bed!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Congrats on your new dog. Bonnie-Belinda is adorable. {{HUGS}}

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh I'm so happy for all of you! Bonnie Belinda is a wonderful name and it suits her. Welcome to Blogland Bonnie Belinda -- I look forward to hearing more of you.

Jo said...

Hi Kay, What a beautiful intro blog post showing this darling dog to the world. In that last photo, Bonnie-Belinda looks very happy. I feel I could reach into the screen and hug her! Bless! I love that her name is still a remembrance to darling Lindy. (((Hugs))) Jo

MadSnapper said...

Bonnie is Beautiful and God bless you for rescuing her. I know the hurt you feel and agree with your friend. so glad she has a happy and home and will heal your heart. Jo sent me to visit since we share a love of all rescue pets.

Connie Smiley said...

Wishing you many happy years with Bonnie-Belinda. I think she's very happy you found her.

Leon Sims said...

Kay, we have been without internet until recently with our move to our new house and so have been missing a lot of blog news. I've just read about your both sad and happy news. Those of us that have animal companions understand.
Leon

Fran said...

She is beautiful and I am so glad that you have all found each other xxx

carol l mckenna said...

I am so happy for you all ~ what a gift ! ~ xox

Sharon said...

Awwww! Bonnie-Belinda is a beauty. We have a rescue dog named Bailey and we just stare at him and tell him he is so cute and marvel at him -- every day. Wishing you many years of love and adventures with your new friend.

Phil Slade said...

So sorry to hear about beloved Lindy. She really was a cherished member of your family so it is always heart breaking to lose such a pet. Still, I think you were well advised to find another family member sooner rather than later. better still, Bonnie-Belinda is part British !! Check your mail for a photo and hugs from Sue and me.

Gattina said...

I am so glad for you that you found Bonnie and that she adapts so well to your home and you ! She looks funny a real cute not too little dog !