Followers

Sunday, July 24, 2016

One can never have too many socks

Socks. I find myself buying them whenever I see them...well, almost. I have drawers and baskets and boxes full of socks, and I'm writing this blog post in order to remind myself not to buy any more. That doesn't, of course, apply to the ones that are waiting for me to pick them up at the Sears delivery location in town.
But I am not alone...just google "too many socks" and you'll be amazed. Photos and quotations abound, all about sock collectors like me.
Let's start with J.K. Rowling: “One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair.”
And from blacksocks.com
"One can never own too many socks. Or so the Germans believe. In Germany, women and men own 24 pairs each. Hence, they hold the European record."
European record, indeed. How about Canadian record? I have exceeded that German record, and records from many other countries, I'm sure.

Please note: The photos below are not mine, so I have attributed them to the sock-lovers who took them, to show just how far a sock obsession can go.

panoramio.com

blog.sfgate.com

bucketsandspadesblog.com

And now you know, as Dumbledore might have said: "One can never have too many photographs of too many socks."
Sigh.
And the reason for this particular post on this particular day? I have promised myself I will sort out the drawers, baskets, and boxes of socks in my bedroom, and am postponing that overwhelming chore by blogging instead.
Sigh again.

Linking this post with
Our World Tuesday

12 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I share your obsession though I have a ways to go to beat your record I'm sure. You made me smile ... Always nice to know one is not alone.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Oh that is goosebump weird... I was going through my drawers prior to the current Edinburgh trip and thinking along those lines - only with me it doesn't stop at socks. One must ALWAYS have clean underwear, right?.. YAM xx

Mara said...

A few washes ago I ended up with three odd socks. Not a clue where the other ones were. But, they showed up only the other day. Happy socks...

I think I own more than 24 pairs. Lots of woollen pairs, bright coloured ones to cheer me up, dark ones for work and I think I have a few pairs for bed (seldom).

Sherry Blue Sky said...

At first I thought that bottom basket was yours, and was going to say I'm so jealous. LOL. Have fun.

Jim said...

Great post.

carol l mckenna said...

what fun shots ~ OCD over the top ~

Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

Ruth said...

I am going to let you down because I do not like socks that much. I mean I have several pairs but I do not like tennis shoes or other shoes that go with shoes. It has to do with my crooked feet. But, I feel like I am always putting pairs together. You cannot imagine how many pair my husband has.

magiceye said...

Wow!! Fascinating!

Jackie McGuinness said...

I can count on one hand the number of times I wear socks or stockings in a year. That's not saying that I don't own them!!

Lea said...

Well, I guess somebody has to make up for my lack of interest in socks!

Jenn Jilks said...

I wish I could find the will to worry about these things!
I just redid the pet door, though. sigh. Danged raccoons.

Stewart M said...

Socks and memory cards - take more than you think you will need!!

I think the flowers in my Orkney church pictures are bluebells - but I suspect that they are planted rather than native.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne