Followers

Sunday, April 12, 2015

One of the world's heroes

Dr. Jane Goodall, DBE
I said yesterday I would tell you why my husband and I went to Calgary. Here is the reason...yes...to meet Dr. Jane Goodall and to listen to her talk to a crowd of thousands in the Jubilee Auditorium.

We fell in love with her.

Having admired her for so many years, we both expected to enjoy her talk, but we were completely blown away.

How many 81-year-olds could bring so many people to their feet, applauding, laughing, and crying at once?



Meeting a woman who has long been a heroine to both of us.
Hugging Icelandic horses on a farm northwest of Calgary, as I told you about yesterday, was a bonus. The real thrill of the week was meeting Dr. Jane.


Now my husband Dick (Richard Schear) and I are contemplating ways in which we can join in the amazing work this wonderful woman is doing.

You see, it's not just studying chimpanzees any more. Dr. Jane is now an activist rather than a scientist. She established the Jane Goodall Institute in 1977,  and since then she has been actively working to save the planet, one child, one school, one town, one city at a time. Calgary, Alberta, has been completely won over. The mayor of Calgary, Naheed Nenshi, calls her one of the world's heroes.
Her Roots and Shoots program is active in Calgary schools and the children who participate are already making a difference to their world.

We both came away inspired, each with a copy of her latest book 50 Years at Gombe, with its fabulous National Geographic cover shot of a young Jane grooming a chimpanzee (i.e. looking for bugs) while the nonchalant chimp munches on bananas.
Thanks to Vets to Go for producing a wonderful evening and for bringing one of the world's heroes to Alberta.




Communicating with one of her chimps in Gombe





16 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
OMW that is so very very very special!!! Slightly envious, but immensely happy for you that you had this experience. Definitely a 'world hero'... YAM xx

Penelope Notes said...

This is fantastic, Kay! Goodall is one of my heroes too. Nice to think of Calgary getting on board with her views. And after all these years, she still looks cute! Speaking of cute … funny how Aurora’s trick in the previous post looks a lot like what the chimp is doing when communicating to Jane.

Red said...

Many would be surprised to find out that her expertise goes far beyond chimps. She has a very wide view o the world.

Joyful said...

Dr. Goodall is a beautiful and inspiring woman and it is wonderful you got to meet her. She looks very tiny.

Kay L. Davies said...

Yes, she does look very tiny, but she's got a lot of stamina, She travels 300 days a year, and still has a lot of endurance after a day of speaking. When we left, there were hundreds of people waiting to have their books signed. I was exhausted, but she didn't appear to be.
*
And Ms Puddle, I think you're right about the chimp and Aurora's trick!

K

Mara said...

I remember you got this as a present for your birthday. I bet this was the best present ever! It certainly sounds like it!!!

growing wild on waverly lane said...

Wonderful! I was blown away by her first accounts with the animals, since I was always compelled by animals. No one ever helped me understand myself. Through her, I understood myself as not odd but well defined. She does good works and there is nothing better.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Kay, I am green with envy! A hero indeed! Her Roots and Wings program is doing wonderful work all over..........she is starting to look frail, is Jane. She is using her life to the very last minute, and travels 300 days of the year. Wow. And I complain about being tired! Thanks for mentioning the book, I had not heard she had a recent one out and have requested it from the library. Yay! (when does she find time to write a book?!!)

Jo said...

Oh wow, Kay. What an experience. Jane Goodall is my heroine too. Thanks for sharing this meeting. (((Hugs))) Jo

Leslie said...

Oh, my. What a chance of a lifetime to meet Jane Goodall and speak to her.

Janice said...

Splendid for you and for us with whom you have shared the experience!

Powell River Books said...

What an amazing opportunity. - Margy

Jenn Jilks said...

What a wonderful opportunity! Thank you for sharing your joy!
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

Kay said...

This is so cool! Wow! You actually got to talk to her. I've always admired her and remember marveling at her courage and inspiration. This is too wonderful. These photos with her are to be cherished.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Hello, Kay! I was thinking of you and dropped by to say hello. It looks like you've taken a blog break for a bit. Love the post about Jane Goodall. The woman is amazing.

Hope you're doing well and are off on an adventure!

A Cuban In London said...

What a beautiful post. Loved it. Thanks.

Greetings from London.