Followers

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Our World Tuesday, sunset and moon

Kay Davies photo, February, 2014

It was a very cold day when I opened the door to take a picture this week, so I didn't keep it open long, but I loved seeing the sunset reflecting off our neighbor's back windows, plus the moon already high in the sky, peering down through the branches of our ornamental crabapple tree.
As you can see, there is very little fruit left on the bottom branches of the tree. We leave the fruit on there for the deer, who can't browse the prairie grass when it's covered in snow. They're beautiful to watch, the older ones standing on their hind legs to reach higher branches, while the smaller ones snuffle for fruit on the ground.
In a month or so, there will be birds after the higher fruit, and the birds will get high, too, because the fruit will ferment when warmer sunshine starts.

Posted for Our World Tuesday
with a special thank-you to Lady Fi for posting a heart full of love!



10 comments:

Jo said...

You are so kind to the wildlife in your garden, Kay! I cannot imagine such cold, especially while we here in South Africa are experiences high temps every day! Sorry you had trouble with my blog; I wasn't aware of this problem. Hope all's OK now again. (((Hugs))) Jo

Jo said...

Hi Kay, I see on your comment on my post today that "wozio" bothered you again. I went into all my settings yet can find nothing untoward. The people I "allow" to comment are registered users (of Google, etc).
I hope this resolves itself.

Mara said...

Just attaching a bit of white paper to a high branch does not a moon make Kay! ;)

kaykuala said...

Good to see them happily getting their fill and you are there for them. How nice Kay! Good deed for the season!

Hank

Hootin Anni said...

What a wonderful concept...to be able to capture the sunset light and see the moon at the same time.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I can feel the cold from here!! That is a lovely candid 'back door' shot which gives a real sense of place. Now go back in and stay warm!!! YAMxx

(ps - 10 days and counting...&*<>)

Gattina said...

That is really a beautiful view ! Sometimes we don't have to travel far, the beauty is on our doorstep !

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love that late afternoon color, too, Kay. And LOVE that you leave fruit for the deer. How lovely to see them on their hind legs reaching for fruit......

Powell River Books said...

Guess you don't have bear troubles with fruit trees out there. - Margy

Jenn Jilks said...

Oh, no. Do you have a pesky reader, too?!
Mine seems to have gone away. For now!