Followers

Saturday, March 3, 2012

For Real Toads: photos by Kenia Cris

For our Sunday Photo Challenge at the online writers’ group Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, Kerry has posted several photos by Real Toads member Kenia Cris of Brazil.
Kenia is an amazing young woman. Not only are her photographs beautiful and otherworldly, but she also writes poetry in two languages: English and her native Brazilian Portuguese.
Because she studied Latin in college, she can speak Italian and read Spanish, but she teaches English, which she studied on her own all her life until she could pass the Cambridge Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English.
Amazing, didn’t I say? Check out the qualifications for the certificate.
*
I have chosen two of Kenia’s photos as inspiration for my contribution to Real Toads this weekend.
*
I’ve known gates like this
and I’ve known trains:
both lead somewhere
I’ve never been.
*
The urge to open up
the gate’s coat-hanger lock
and see what lies beyond
is great,
but greater yet
is the urge to go
where angels fear to tread.
*
I take the train
instead of the gate:
I go wherever 
the tracks lead me.
*
Gate and train photos
© Kenia Cris
*
Blue Jeans Frog photo
© Richard Schear

15 comments:

Grace said...

Gates and trains are great symbols and can speak of our journey, or paths we have never been ~

Lovely take on the prompt ~

Mª Zélia said...

Grande inspiração!!!
O poema mostra a sensibilidade captada nas fotos...
Adorei conhecer um pouco mais da Kenia Cris!
Beijos

Kenia Santos said...

What a beautiful poem you have written here. I'm glad you've put a photo and a collage together, and I must say I'd also go on the train and see where the tracks lead me these days, but I somehow long for the days I'll be fine with being home and watching the sunset from my porch or window behind the mountains afar. I'll know then I've lived a life. :)

I'm touched by the introduction you've made of me - thanks for such sweetness.

Kiss your cheeks. <3

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love this, Kay. I long for a train trip!

Anonymous said...

i take the train instead of the grade is an interesting way to look at things

Anonymous said...

Very clever and very inspired! Really, really like this! *smile*

Mystic_Mom said...

Kay - this is so well done! Lovely journey.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Such a great opening stanza, and a more serious tone for you - very thought-full.

Fireblossom said...

I don't think you can go wrong, Kay. They both seem to hold out promise, don't they?

Mary Ann Potter said...

Nice one, Kay! Gates and trains and all that goes with them, so beautifully expressed here.

Margaret said...

but greater yet
is the urge to go
where angels fear to tread.

Very intriguing and the mind just wanders with that line... nice, thought provoking poem!

Susie Clevenger said...

Great piece...gates that need opened and trains to take me where angels fear to tread...I'm on board.

Herotomost said...

ooohhhhh!!!! I loved this, choosing the mystery, there must be a little adventurer in that heart of yours. Great Picture choice and great poem.

Ella said...

Clever Kay to tie both photos into the challenge.
I love your view

Debi Swim said...

I love the possibilities that both gates and trains provide. Thank you for piquing my imagination